"Petronell" Petronell by dvideira
Petronell Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 13 photos
Petronell is located about 40 km east of Vienna and along with the city of Bad Deutsch-Altenburg once was the capital of the Roman Province Upper Pannonia - Carnuntum.
This is the largest archaeological region in Austria.
The Heidentor, the most famous Roman monument in Austria is really impressive.
It stands eerily alone in the fields outside what was the Roman metropolis of Carnuntum.
Heidentor means Heathen's Gate.
But it was proved that it is nor heathen nor a gate, at all.
It was proved to be a quadrifrons ( or tetrypylon, in Greek ) - a pillared building with four archways built between 354 and 361 AD as a triumphal monument for the Emperor Constantius II.
The Open Air Museum Petronell is a work in progress. watch archaeologists at work on the excavation site.
It also shows foundations of residencial buildings, baths and more...
Opening hours 2004:
Open Air Museum Petronell
20 March - 14 November :
daily 9 am - 5 pm
by car from Vienna:
A4 Ostautobahn -
exit Fischamend/Bratislava - B9 main road to Petronell-Carnuntum or Bad Deutsch-Altenburg (about 30-45 minutes).
S7 train line from Wien-S?dbahnhof to Petronell-Carnuntum or Bad Deutsch-Altenburg station.
dvideira's Related Pages
Petronell Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Petronell
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Petronell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petronell
Photos in PetronellSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 60 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melk Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Vienna Intro, 27 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baden Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Praiano Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 25 reviews, 27 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue