"Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..." Rio de Janeiro by dvideira

Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,640 reviews and 6,560 photos

This way, please. And welcome.
A little bit of information...

The physical aspects of the city are products of the mountain range , covered by the Mata Atlântica forest. They show great contrasts: mountains and sea, forests and beaches, stone walls rising abruptly from extended lowlands, all forming the landscape of rare beauty that has made Rio famous all over the world as the Wonderful City (Cidade Maravilhosa).

The history of Rio de Janeiro, well, lets say it began from two "little mistakes"...

First of all, Brazil itself was discovered "by accident" when Pedro Alvares Cabral was sent on an expedition to India, got lost along the way and reached Bahia's coast in April 22, 1500.

Almost two years later, another expedition was sent to confirm the existence of the land Cabral claimed he had discovered. And so, in January, 1502 portuguese explorers headed by André Gonçalves reached the entrance of today's Guanabara Bay and mistook it for being a mouth of a big river ( rio, in portuguese ). Well, he brightly united the dots and concluded: It is January and that is a river hence we'll name it Rio de Janeiro ( January's River ). As you can notice, the name stuck !

People born in Rio are called "Cariocas" . Althoug you may think that name came from the rio word ( caRIOcas ), the origin of the name is a different one. The natives ( tamoio indians ) - who inhabited the land before the Portuguese arrived - used the name to describe the portuguese white people who set the first edification in a place where today is Flamengo neigborhood. Caraiba - white men + oca - house = carai'oca = carioca. Simple as that!

If you want to know a little bit more hystoric information about Rio,
click here.

... on my hometown...

Building a travel page on our own cities can be a hard work.... I find myself wanting to show you the place I was born and raised in and I realize it is going to take a little time for me to have all the pics I never took - just because the subjects are so part of the daily scene .... and there are also places I never went to - just because they are so "there" and , oh.. I can see it tomorrow....

And now you have me having a lot of fun, playing tourist at home. Taking my camera with me wherever I go. Looking at every usual place with the eyes of "could it be an interesting tip to travellers???"

I am not a tourist guide and had never used a hotel in Rio myself... so I would not be that useful in suggesting accomodations to you - at least not at the present time - I'm going to do my homework, I promise! Meanwhile, there are lots of interesting and helpful travel pages in which you can find and book hotels. All I can say in advance is: there is a place for every kind of budget. For those who are coming in a really low budget, there are places like Flamengo and Catete which have plenty of cheap but decent hotels and hostels and are also easy to reach by subway.

Well, all I want to achieve is being able to show this city to you from my point-of-view, trying to share with you what I really love in it; the restaurants I would like my friends to enjoy, the sights I would feel like sharing with the ones I care. In a nutshell, I hope these pages may be useful to you all to feel like coming here and being welcomed with open arms just the way the Corcovado Christ will welcome you when you actually come here!

• Intro Updated Jul 31, 2004

• Oct 12, 2010 at 2:53 AM

The elegant statue located in Corcovado in Brazil is an eye candy. Towering above the marvelous city with an enchanting view. travelamerica360.com/statue-...

• tukamorris's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Indeed! This is a very beautiful spot to have a good cup of coffee in Rio accompanied by the delicious Colombo's deserts and the unbeatable scenery.

• Krkrboy's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I love your city. It is one of the most beautiful in the world! Just returned from there for the 3rd time. I might move there some day.

• Mar 10, 2009 at 6:29 AM

We ate at Marius during our last trip to Rio. What a rip off. Price was r170.00 per person + drinks and r20.00 for buffet. 2 times as expensive as the best places in Rio. The food was terrible. The sea food was completely over cooked.

• Dec 31, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Veery informative information on what to wear while in Rio. Thank you.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Your pages popped up on VT HP and i wish to say hello. Nice RIo photo. I have not been there yet but I am sure I will make it sometime. Have a nice day. Greetings

• Nov 21, 2007 at 3:26 AM

wow! I love havaianas. I've been collecting some for quite sometime. One of my ultimate dreams is to have a trip in Brazil. There are lots of limited editions (havaianas) being sold or even given away in there. *sigh. I hope I live in your place.

• Mailo's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Terei que voltar ao meu Rio de janeiro.. realmente cidade maravilhosa.. Denise Rio esta nos meus projetos de viagem.. tomara que seja daqui a pouco... Um Abraço... Ismael

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 8:35 PM

Ola ! Well, still a little too early for lunch now .. How is the night in Rio ? :-)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 2:17 PM

I enjoyed reading your tips! Saudades... Love markets, where colours, smells and flavours mix together. My last night in Rio (in January) I spent with Carioca friends in La Fiorentina! Liked the design of theirs menu. Even took a photo with Ary Barroso :)

dvideira Lives Here!

dvideira

“So far, so good ( indeed ! )”

Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?