"The Wonderful Vilnius" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius by Carletto76
Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,745 reviews and 3,594 photos
I had great expectations for Vilnius before going there; usually it's a bit underrated compared to Tallinn and Riga, so I expected to find there less tourists, and in fact it was great to go around this old town without hordes of people! And there was so much to see that 2 days were probably not enough, but you all know that I can walk fast, and if I saw Warsaw in half a day, I had no problems here with 2! ;-)
Now that I have seen the 3 Baltic capitals I can say that I fell in love for Vilnius, and I'm sorry for my friends from Kaunas, but it's really the most beautiful town in Lithuania, and in my opinion in the whole Baltic region.
Vilnius old town is wonderful, you can go around without a map and get lost among the many narrow streets, but you will easily find your way back... Vilnius is a small capital city compared to the big Western metropoles, so you will always find your way, but it could be different all the times!
Great part of the old town has been recently restored, and more money will come to Lithuania from the EU in the next years, so this town will be more and more beautiful in the next years, but it's better to hurry until it's still a "real" town, and not a tourist attraction only.
I tried to count the number of churches I saw in Vilnius but I got lost! ;-) There is a church at every corner, it's really incredible, it seems to be in Rome!
And most of the churches are Roman Catholic and built in Baroque style. We can consider Vilnius the capital of Baroque, you can see really many masterpieces of this style walking around the beutiful Lithuanian capital town.
- Pros:One of the most beautiful towns in Europe!
- Cons:Nothing, by now!
- In a nutshell:My favourite in the Baltic!
Walking south from the Town Walls and the Bastion we passed through some old streets with old houses really in bad... more travel advice
I found this very nice sign just beside the orthodox church of the Apparition of the Holy Mother of God (Znamenskaya),... more travel advice
- See All The barricades of 1991
- See All To/From Vilnius by Bus
- An artists' place
Carletto76's Related Pages
Vilnius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very friendly, very historical and inexpensive :-)"
- "Vilnius - City of Churches"
- "Vilnius - mix of cultures"
- "The Wonderful Vilnius"
- "Vilnius - my grandparents' love"
- "THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS"
- "Vilnius in the springtime"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilnius
- Hotels in Vilnius
- Transportation in Vilnius
- Nightlife in Vilnius
- Restaurants in Vilnius
- Shopping in Vilnius
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilnius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vilnius
- 46 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilnius
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genoa Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hrodna Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Hamburg Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Gdansk Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kaunas Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trakai Intro, 11 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues