"Minsk, the capital of Belarus" Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk by Carletto76
Minsk Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 907 photos
It was a long long time I wanted to visit Belarus, which is quite an unknown and unusual country in Europe. After the fall of the Berlin wall, of the Soviet Union and of the communist regimes throughout Europe, one only country in the old continent seems to be stuck at the "good old times", and that is Belarus. And the best place to start my Belarusian trip was of course its capital city, Minsk.
Minsk is a big city, almost 2 million people live here, and it was was almost totaly obliterated during WWII, similar fate of the not so far away Warszawa. Unfortunately Minsk was not rebuilt like the old town of the Polish capital, but in a typical Soviet style: huge boulevards, all perpendicular to the other, huge classicist or funtionalistic buildings in the centre, huge blocks of apartments in the close outskirts. Yeah, there's some little memory of old Minsk, but they are just few rebuilt houses by the river Svislač.
By the way Minsk is a very interesting place and it has some very nice parts as well, a lively nightlife and very nice and friendly people. Yet the militia is everywhere, as well as army people, red stars, hammers and sickles and so on... time seems to have stopped in Lukashenkaland...
If you've been to Latvia you surely know the Lido self-service restaurants. They are not just normal self-service... more travel advice
If you don't know it you'll never find it... I read about this beer brewery on the Lonely Planet guite to Russia and... more travel advice
Carletto76's Related Pages
Minsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Minsk - City of grandiose Stalinist architecture"
- "Minsk - charm of soviet style architecture"
- "Belarussian Capital"
- "Minsk at first sight"
- "Minsk, the capital of Belarus"
- "My city"
- "Minsk - the capital of Belarus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minsk
- Hotels in Minsk
- Transportation in Minsk
- Nightlife in Minsk
- Restaurants in Minsk
- Shopping in Minsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Minsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minsk
- 29 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Minsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minsk
Photos in MinskSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genoa Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 46 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hrodna Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Hamburg Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Gdansk Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kaunas Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trakai Intro, 11 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues