"My hometown, my favourite town!" Top 5 Page for this destination Genoa by Carletto76

Genoa Travel Guide: 740 reviews and 1,950 photos

My Genova

It's never easy to talk about my hometown, expecially since I like it so much!
Genova is where I was born and raised. I always lived here and I saw it growing up year by year, expecially in the last period.
Much people from Genova don't know their town, someone still has fear to go around the tiny streets and dark alleys of the old town, someone also gets lost! I always liked that labyrinth of streets, and I go there very often, trying to discover a new "treasure" every time... with success!

Genova is a city full of hidden treasures, much people don't see them, you often have to walk with your nose looking up to the sky, and you have to walk, walk and walk again, up and down, left and right... but it's worth the effort!
I've a special feeling with my hometown, I usually love it, but sometimes I hate it, and the people from here are quite particular... they say we are tight in money like Scottsmen, well I love Scotland, so it may be true! ;-)
Genova is not an "easy town", there are not big monuments, but there's full of history, of richness (banks were invented here...), of great food and of good friends, because if you know a genovese well, you'll become great friends, believe me!

UNESCO World Heritage site!

After being European Capital of Culture in 2004, this year Genova received a new, wonderful, important and long awaited recognition: it has been listed on UNESCO's World Heritage List!

Here is what UNESCO says, it's worth more than my words! :)
The Strade Nuove and the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli, in Genoa’s historic centre (late 16th and early 17th centuries) represent the first example in Europe of an urban development project with a unitary framework, where the plans were specially parcelled out by a public authority and a particular system of ‘public lodging’, based on legislation. The Rolli palaces were residences built by the wealthiest and most powerful aristocratic families of the Republic of Genoa at the height of its financial and seafaring power. The site includes an ensemble of Renaissance and Baroque palaces along the so-called ‘new streets’ (Strade Nuove). The grand residence palaces erected on the Strada Nuova (now Via Garibaldi) in the late 16th century, formed the quarter of the nobility, who under the constitution of 1528, had assumed the government of the Republic. Palaces are generally three or four stories high and feature spectacular open staircases, courtyards, and loggias overlooking gardens, positioned at different levels in a relatively tight space. The influence of this urban design model is evidenced by Italian and European literature over the following decades. The palazzi offer an extraordinary variety of different solutions, achieving universal value in adapting to the particular characteristics of the site and to the requirements of a specific social and economic organization. They also offer an original example of a network of public hospitality houses for visits of state, as decreed by the Senate in 1576. The owners of these palazzi were obliged to host state visits, thus contributing to the dissemination of knowledge of an architectural model and a residential culture which attracted famous artists and travellers, and of which a significant example is a collection of drawings by Pieter Paul Rubens.

Sea, history, focaccia and... Carletto!

Am I one of Genova's main attractions? ;-) Not at all, but I can be a good tourist guide among the dedalus of the Old Town, and I can take you in the best places where you can eat focaccia, farinata, trofie al pesto and all the best food specialities of my hometown!
And of course you'll see the sea... all roads lead to the sea, unless you go up on the hills! ;-) The sea means food, it means commerce, it means holidays, it simply means Genova!
And as every important town in Italy and Europe, Genova is full of history, since the early ages, to the middle ages, from Christopher Columbus, our most important citizen, to Niccolò Paganini, till our most famous contemporary architect Renzo Piano, who is designing the new Genova of the nearby future! All this is history and culture, between the hills and the sea.
So, what are you waiting before coming to Genova? ;-)

• Pros:Wonderful and big Old Town, Aquarium... me!
  • Cons:Still some restorations to do
  • In a nutshell:A place full of hidden treasures!
  • Last visit to Genoa: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2007

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Interesting page. Great tips.irene

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Ottima pagina! Ho finito oggi di leggere gli ultimi tips. Complimenti soprattutto per le indicazioni stradali e le recensioni dei ristoranti, che spero possano servirmi quando verrò a Genova (16-19 marzo). Ma i prezzi sono rimasti quelli?

• jewels63's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Your enthusiasm has committed me to put it on my itinerary - from La Spezia to Genoa(Genova?) by train on June 9 this year - 3 days?

• Apr 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

it lets me see pic and locations before i get there

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I've used your pages to help my friends prepare for their trip...thank you! These are fantastic tips. I hope to visit Genoa soon as well. Ciao e grazie ancora!

• Laurel914's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Your pictures and page on Genova are amazing. I wish it was in my travel plans for when I come to Italy in May/June. The closest I'll make it is Cinque Terre, so I guess no tour of Genova for me. Oh well. I'll just add Genova to my travel wish list!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Outstanding photos/detail - I favor your travelogues of night in Genova. Will return here often and hope to see it soon.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 7:46 AM

lovely - thanks

• alywang's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2007 at 6:55 PM

great pages about Genoa! Thanks for sharing:)

• Jul 23, 2007 at 8:18 AM

I don't really agree. I lived just off Andrea Doria, in the heart of the historic center, for quite a long time until a couple of years ago. It's filled with fascinating people and a lively and always exotic culture, plus wonderful food!

Carletto76 Lives Here!

Carletto76

“Travelling is the meaning of life!”

Badges & Stats in Genoa