"Just one day in Guanajuato leaves you wanting more" Guanajuato by VdV
Guanajuato Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 720 photos
My Mom & I took a day tour into Guanajuato from San Miguel de Allende (about 1.5 hr drive.) After a few hours in Guanajuato, I immediately knew that I have to return some day, as we barely scratched the surface of all this city has to offer.
The city has an energetic, youthful, funky vibe, in direct contrast to the laid-back, almost geriatric feel of San Miguel de Allende. I wish we would have stayed at least 1-2 nights in Guanajuato, so my biggest "Tip" to you is that if you are visiting San Miguel de Allende, seriously consider adding a 1-2 night stay in Guanajuato to round out your itinerary.
Our day itinerary:
* Arrive into the city in the A.M. First stop: Casa Museo Gene Byron in Marfil.
* Drive to Pipila monument for stunning panoramic views and orientation to the city.
* Take the Funicular down to the city centre.
* Visit Teatro Juarez
* Stop in the Iglesia de San Diego
* Make our way on foot to the Universidad de Guanajuato's historic building
* Walk a few blocks down the street to the Casa Diego Rivera
* Walk back through the city streets and alleyways to the Funicular
* Retrieve car and drive to Valenciana for late lunch and silver shopping
* Drive back through town via the historic subterranean roads
* Head back to San Miguel de Allende
As the center of Mexico's colonial heartland, Guanajuato is chock full of colonial architecture.
Guanajuato's rambling cobblestone streets, public gathering places, romantic steps and alleyways all make for a beautiful city setting.
A drive (or walk if you have the time) through the city's subterranean roads/tunnels is a dizzying experience.
The relaxed, laid back atmosphere of some of the city's neighborhoods are appealing, and make one wish that s/he should stay for at least one week, a few months (or even relocate there!)
Make Guanajuato a key destination on your next visit to Mexico!
- Pros:Wonderful architecture, funky & lively vibe, romantic feel
- Cons:None--want to go back to explore more!
- In a nutshell:A great city to explore in central Mexico
Valenciana is a lovely area in the northern edge of Guanajuato. This restaurant is located int the 18th century home of... more travel advice
This Neo-Classical structure houses an impressive theater, complete with grand salons, parlors, atrium/skylights, etc.... more travel advice
VdV's Related Pages
Guanajuato Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guanajuato Mexico"
- "Place of Montuous Frogs"
- "Travel Notes from Guanajuato"
- "Guanajuato, winding streets, and strange sites"
- "Just one day in Guanajuato leaves you wanting more"
- "THE COLONIAL CITY OF GUANAJUATO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guanajuato
- Hotels in Guanajuato
- Transportation in Guanajuato
- Nightlife in Guanajuato
- Restaurants in Guanajuato
- Shopping in Guanajuato
- Warnings and Dangers in Guanajuato
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guanajuato
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Guanajuato?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guanajuato
- Commented on one of gdilieto's Guanajuato travel pages
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: books and cds"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Just one day in Guanajuato leaves you wanting more"
- updated a Guanajuato Travel Page "Just one day in Guanajuato leaves you wanting more"
- Wrote a Review A delicious and calming respite in Guanajuato in Guanajuato Restaurants
Photos in GuanajuatoSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curitiba Intro, 36 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puebla de Zaragoza Intro, 23 reviews, 36 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Évora Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pasadena Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Morretes Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos