"Just one day in Guanajuato leaves you wanting more" Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato by VdV

Guanajuato Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 585 photos

Capital City, Silver City, University City.....

My Mom & I took a day tour into Guanajuato from San Miguel de Allende (about 1.5 hr drive.) After a few hours in Guanajuato, I immediately knew that I have to return some day, as we barely scratched the surface of all this city has to offer.

The city has an energetic, youthful, funky vibe, in direct contrast to the laid-back, almost geriatric feel of San Miguel de Allende. I wish we would have stayed at least 1-2 nights in Guanajuato, so my biggest "Tip" to you is that if you are visiting San Miguel de Allende, seriously consider adding a 1-2 night stay in Guanajuato to round out your itinerary.

Our day itinerary:
* Arrive into the city in the A.M. First stop: Casa Museo Gene Byron in Marfil.
* Drive to Pipila monument for stunning panoramic views and orientation to the city.
* Take the Funicular down to the city centre.
* Visit Teatro Juarez
* Stop in the Iglesia de San Diego
* Make our way on foot to the Universidad de Guanajuato's historic building
* Walk a few blocks down the street to the Casa Diego Rivera
* Walk back through the city streets and alleyways to the Funicular
* Retrieve car and drive to Valenciana for late lunch and silver shopping
* Drive back through town via the historic subterranean roads
* Head back to San Miguel de Allende

Stunning colonial architecture

As the center of Mexico's colonial heartland, Guanajuato is chock full of colonial architecture.

Local artisans, beauty and romance abound

Guanajuato's rambling cobblestone streets, public gathering places, romantic steps and alleyways all make for a beautiful city setting.

A drive (or walk if you have the time) through the city's subterranean roads/tunnels is a dizzying experience.

The relaxed, laid back atmosphere of some of the city's neighborhoods are appealing, and make one wish that s/he should stay for at least one week, a few months (or even relocate there!)

Make Guanajuato a key destination on your next visit to Mexico!

• Pros:Wonderful architecture, funky & lively vibe, romantic feel
  • Cons:None--want to go back to explore more!
  • In a nutshell:A great city to explore in central Mexico
  • Last visit to Guanajuato: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2005

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 7:10 AM

Hi Vera, thanks for your great tips on Guanajuato; we are looking forward to visiting in Feb.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2006 at 9:19 AM

Just a taste . . . you'll have to go back! Thanks for the compliment, but c'mon, you're mom is your real travel hero! She sounds cool. Happy Easter!

• Nov 25, 2005 at 6:03 AM

looks fantastic, I can see why 1 day wasn't enough!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 10:25 AM

I didn't make it to Guanajuato when I was in SMA, but I wish I had! The food looks delicious!

VdV

“Another day, another adventure...”

Badges & Stats in Guanajuato

Have you been to Guanajuato?