"Oxnard Shores - Gateway to the Channel Islands" Oxnard Shores by VdV
Oxnard Shores Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 3 photos
A native southern Californian (born in Long Beach), I grew up in Oxnard--about 55 miles north of Los Angeles, located on the "coastal plain" or "flatlands" in Ventura County.
Oxnard Shores in particular has special meaning to me. This is where my friends and I would hang out after high school dances, football games, etc. Sometimes we'd go just to watch the sunset. If it were dark already, we'd grab some wooden plats from the back of a grocery store, load them up into someone's van/car, drive out to Oxnard Shores, walk over the sand dunes and light a huge bonfire and lay out on our blankets/jackets looking up at the stars, contemplating life.
After having left Oxnard some 23 years ago, I recently returned for a 3-day holiday with friends and family. We rented two beachfront homes, side by side, and instantly I was beguiled by the incredible beauty and serenity of the place, compared to the hustle and bustle of L.A.
Oxnard is close enough for a weekend getaway, but serene enough to feel like you're much farther away....
And the incredible sunsets over the Channel Islands are some of the most gorgeous you'll find up and down the coast.
Enjoy and explore!
I recently rented two beachfront homes for a 3-day holiday weekend with family and friends. It was the perfect weekend getaway.
I used to drive up to Cambria or Cayucos each year for a week-long getaway. I still love those places, but for a quick weekend, Oxnard is just as relaxing.
Folks in the neighborhood are friendly. The nearby Oxnard State Beach Park is a great place for a picnic, volleyball, softball, dodgeball (oh yeah--at two recent high school reunions, DODGEBALL was THE GAME! Yeah!) You can rent canopied bikecarts from the nearby Mandalay Beach Resort. The beach is a great place to take your dog for a jog/stroll.
If you've got time (and money) though, renting a beachfront home or condo is the way to go. You can always pick up fresh fruits and veggies from the local produce stands, and there are regular grocery stores (Von's and Albertson's) just a two-minute drive from Oxnard Shores.
My friends enjoyed such weekend activities such as wine-tasting, shopping (at the Camarillo Premium Outlets and Oxnard Factory Stores, and the antique/thrift shops in downtown Ventura), beachcoming, and just relaxing by the beach.
I highly recommend this as an antidote to civilisation....even if just for the weekend.
- Pros:Gorgeous sunsets, small town/city feel, close enough to L.A. for a getaway but not touristy....
- Cons:Why did I ever move away?.....it's so beautiful.....
- In a nutshell:Now that I've grown up and moved away, I know the meaning of the word "saudade" whenever I think of Oxnard Shores.....
VdV's Related Pages
Oxnard Shores Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxnard Shores - Gateway to the Channel Islands"
- Create a Oxnard Shores Travel Page
Explore the World
- Lago di Cancano Hotels
- Kitty Hawk
- Arlington Hotels
- Legaspi Port Hotels
- John W Kyle State Park Hotels
- Khersons'ka Oblast'
- Jasper Lake Hotels
- Heraklion Hotels
- Ponta Negra
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Departamento de Sacatepéquez
- Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Badges & Stats in Oxnard Shores
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Oxnard Shores?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxnard Shores
Photos in Oxnard ShoresSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curitiba Intro, 36 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puebla de Zaragoza Intro, 23 reviews, 36 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Évora Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pasadena Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Morretes Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos