"Lovely Belem..." Belém by VdV
Belém Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 1,020 photos
If you only have a few hours to explore Lisbon or have a day or two to escape the hustle and bustle of downtown Lisbon, I recommend at least a full day visit to Belem.
It waterfront location, monuments (Torre de Belem, Mosteiro dos Jeronimos, Padrao dos Descobrimentos), museums (Museu de Marnha, Museu do Popular Arte, Museu Nacional dos Coches), the wonderful Centro Cultural de Belem, AND...of course the world famous pasteis de Belem (delicious custard tarts), makes Belem the perfect place to spend a perfect day.
Anyone who's been to Belem will tell you that you MUST have pasteis de Belem. Pay heed to their advice, as these pastries are wonderfully delicious. For more information, see my Restaurants Tips.
In the main photo on this page above (view of Rua de Belem), the Antiga Confeiteria de Belem (the confeiteria/pasteleria where you can buy these delicious pastries) is in the shopfront toward the bottom right of the photo, where the blue awnings are.
For modern art lovers, fans of live performances and browsers of museum shops and music, the Centro Cultural de Belem is the perfect to spend several hours.
The Centro stays open rather late (7pm) most days, and its shops stay open until 8pm.
For more information, see my Things to Do tips section.
- Pros:Lovely place to spend the day, walkable, easy access
- Cons:None really, except don't go on Monday when the museums are closed!
- In a nutshell:Culture, great sights, and delicious food. What more can you ask for?
I must disclose upfront that I did not go INSIDE the Mosteiro, though my friend did and spent several hours... more travel advice
It was very easy to get to Belem from downtown Lisbon. From the Cais do Sodre Metro station (end of the green line,... more travel advice
VdV's Related Pages
Belém Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great place to visit !"
- "Interesting Belém"
- "Belém, Portugal"
- "From where the great explorers set sail"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belém
- Hotels in Belém
- Transportation in Belém
- Nightlife in Belém
- Restaurants in Belém
- Shopping in Belém
- Warnings and Dangers in Belém
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Belém
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Belém?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belém
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: books and cds"
- updated a Belém Travel Page "Lovely Belem..."
- Commented on one of nhcram's Belém travel pages
- Wrote a Review UNESCO World Heritage site: Mosteiro dos Jeronimos in Belém Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Easy access from downtown Lisbon to Belem"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curitiba Intro, 36 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puebla de Zaragoza Intro, 23 reviews, 36 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Évora Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pasadena Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Morretes Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos