"3 weeks off the beaten path, "planner's paradise"" Top 5 Page for this destination Curitiba by VdV
Curitiba Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 431 photos
On my first trip to Brasil (January 2004), I spent three weeks in Curitiba and thoroughly enjoyed my visit! While most tourists go to Brasil to visit Rio, Sao Paulo, the Amazon, the Pantanal and many of the country's fine beaches, who really goes to Curitiba?!...Well, I recommend a visit there. It's a modern city, with a very high quality of life for its 2 million plus residents. The weather is much cooler than other parts of Brasil, but a welcome relief from the heat. Also, the city is known in urban/city planning circles as having THE BEST bus system in the world, which I found to be quite accurate. There is lots to see and experience in Curitiba besides the usual monuments and fancy architecture that draws tourists to most big cities. Spend some time in Curitiba...it's a nice city....
UPDATE: Returned for a second visit in November 2005, this time with my Mom. It was great to reconnect with the friends I had made during my first trip and they were great hosts to their wonderful city. After taking the Linha Turismo the first day, my Mom asked, "What are we going to do for seven more days?!" Well, as she soon discovered, it's not about seeing major tourist attractions, but relaxing and getting into the rhythm of the place. We shopped, we browsed, we ate leisurely lunches, and walked, walked, walked for hours. I also took her on the Serra Verde Express train ride to Morretes (doesn't go as far as Paranagua some times) for a day trip. And, every night my friends would take us out to someplace fun and different for dinner. Thank you Luciana, Glauce and Lucia for being such wonderful ambassadors! People I met thought I was crazy for coming back to Curitiba for a second time (since who really goes there on vacation anyhow?) But, it was one of the best vacations I've had.
Jan. 2004: Many of the photos under the "Off the Beaten Path" section of my Curitiba page were inspired by reading a chapter from the book, "Natural Capitalism," by Paul Hawken, Amory Lovins and L. Hunter Lovins. (published by Back Bay Books, October 2000.) Reading about some of the urban planning ideas and programs in Curitiba seemed too good to be true. So, seeing them for myself was a special experience. Many heartfelt thanks especially to the staff at the Instituto Curitiba de Informatica (ICI)--particularly Glauce Nakamura, Emerson Alex and Director Luis Alexandre for hosting me on a tour of their organization and city, and for sharing a first-hand view of the many social programs and solutions that make Curitiba an innovative and "livable" community.
If you have one or even a few days, a great way to see the city is to take the Linha Turismo (see VT member "World-travel" description uner "Transportation Tips" on the main VT Curitiba page for schedule), a bus that stops at 22 Places of Interest throughout the city. If you have more than one day, I would recommend that you buy a ticket (allows you four stops) or more tickets over several days, and start to pick and choose parks, monuments and other places to explore. Don't just get off on the first four places--take the entire loop at least once, so that you can get a feel for what each stop includes. And when you stop, take some time to walk around, watch and see the environment around you. I only got to see about 6-7 different places on the Linha Turismo, which means maybe I have to return to Curitiba to see the 18 or so places which I did not have time to get off the bus to explore!
Tchau and enjoy!
- Pros:Nice quality of life, easy to get around, lots of interesting things to see and do, very affordable
- Cons:Weather may be too cool for some people, downtown restaurants tend to close for dinner (but good neighborhood restaurants open for dinner!)
- In a nutshell:Curitiba is an Urban/Social Planner's Paradise!
My friends Luciana, Lucia and Luiz Carlos, and their Mom took my Mom and I to a casual French bistro in the Bigorrilho... more travel advice
My friend Glauce wanted to take my Mom and I for a traditional feijoada meal. Feijaoda is the national dish of Brasil--a... more travel advice
- See All Local Events
- For Night Owls...
- See All Shopping, food, great people-watching...
- See All Train ride to Paranagua
VdV's Related Pages
Curitiba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "3 weeks off the beaten path, "planner's paradise""
- "Most European capital in Brazil"
- "Curitiba...the capital of the South.."
- "Curitiba - capital of Parana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Curitiba
- Hotels in Curitiba
- Transportation in Curitiba
- Nightlife in Curitiba
- Restaurants in Curitiba
- Shopping in Curitiba
- Warnings and Dangers in Curitiba
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Curitiba
- 36 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Curitiba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Curitiba
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: books and cds"
- Commented on one of mircaskirca's Curitiba travel pages
- Wrote a Review Local Events in Curitiba Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Where to find traditional Brasilian/Paranese food"
- updated a Curitiba Travel Page "3 weeks off the beaten path, "planner's paradise""
Photos in CuritibaSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curitiba Intro, 36 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puebla de Zaragoza Intro, 23 reviews, 36 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Évora Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pasadena Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ponce Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Morretes Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Latest Curitiba hotel reviews
- Hotel Del Rey
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Mercure Apartments Curitiba Batel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 17, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Curitiba
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Vernon Palace Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2013
- Hotel Tibagi
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Deville Curitiba
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Slaviero Aspen Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2012
- Caravelle Palace Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Slaviero Rockefeller Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013