"Malaysia my home" Malaysia by andrewyong

Malaysia Travel Guide: 27,983 reviews and 70,090 photos

Selamat Datang! Welcome!

If you happen to drop by my country, you will find that it is as diverse as Asia herself in terms of food and the mix of people who you will meet. Everyone should be proud of their own country and I am indeed proud of mine. (There is a difference though between patriotism, nationalism and extreme right wing and many times the lines are blurred. If you visit my Amsterdam page, you will see my reflections on the Anne Frank's Museum, which has a very interesting interactive exhibit at the end. And yet, people still seem not to care, even with the last 2000 years of reminders).

Otherwise, Malaysia is progrssing towards better things as we find our place within the world community and we are in an exciting time of change physically, politically, economically and socially.

I'm a lover of geography and history and it is exciting to observe the fast-changing world with my country riding the tide with it.

from nationalanthems.info/national-anthems.net

Malaysia - "Negara Ku" (My Country)

Words by: collectively, led by Tunku Abdul Rahman
Music by: Pierre Jean de Beranger
Adopted: 1957

MALAY LYRICS
Negara ku
Tanah tumpahnya darahku,

(My country, my native land)

Rakyat hidup, bersatu dan maju,
(The people living united and progressive)

Rahmat bahagia, tuhan kurniakan,
( May God bestow blessing and happiness)
Raja kita, selamat bertahta,
(May our Ruler have a successful reign)

Rahmat bahagia, tuhan kurniakan,
( May God bestow blessing and happiness)
Raja kita, selamat bertahta.
(May our Ruler have a successful reign)

Before independence in 1957, each of the (then) eleven states of Malaysia had their own anthem (which they have retained to this day), but there was no unifying anthem for the whole country. When independence was approaching, Tunku Abdul Rahman, then the Chief Minister and Minister for Home Affairs (later Malaysia's first prime minister), led a committee to select a new anthem. Hundreds were recieved, but none were deemed suitable. Finally, the anthem for the Malaysian state of Perak was considered, and the melody, due to its "traditional flavour" was selected to be the melody for the new anthem.
In 1888 the Sultan of Perak was invited by Queen Victoria as a guest. When the Sultan's aide was asked what the anthem of Perak was, so that it could be played upon his formal arrival, the aide, not wanting to be embarrassed by saying that Perak did not have an anthem, perhaps giving the impression that his country was "backwards", proceeded to hum a favourite tune of his from the Seychelles, which is believed to have been composed by Pierre Jean Beranger. It was, therefore, from that moment on, the tune for the state anthem of Perak (and later Malaysia).

After an Indonesian opera performed it in Singapore (at the time, part of Malaysia), the tune became popular throughout all of Malaysia in the 1920s and 1930s as the love song "Terang Bulan" (Moonlight). ("Terang Bulan" is now forbidden to be performed in Malaysia.)
Once the melody was selected, new lyrics had to be written for it. The panel of judges charged with selecting a new anthem wrote the lyrics, with Tunku Abdul Rahman leading the group.

Special thanks to: Zein al-A'bideen Ayyoubi for providing me (the writer) with the sheet music.

• Intro Updated Mar 25, 2006

Comments

andrewyong

“enjoying the world!”

Badges & Stats in Malaysia

Have you been to Malaysia?

Latest Activity in Malaysia