"Baling" Baling by andrewyong
Baling Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 95 photos
This is the town where the young Malayan government headed by our 1st Prime Minister, YM Tunku Abdul Rahman held talks with the the leadership of the Communist Party of Malaya (CPM) headed by Chin Peng to negotiate a ceasefire to the communist insurgency righ before our independence from Britain.
In the end the talks failed and the communists retreated to south Thailand and the insurgency or arm-struggle was finally declared over in 1989 (though no serious fighting broke out).
The Malaysian government offered to reintegrate any former communist who would renounce arms into Malaysian society.
Otherwise, there's a lovely hot spring situated close to the limestone hill which dominates this little hamlet, if you are passing by on your way to Betong, south Thailand.
andrewyong's Related Pages
Baling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wat Prakthat (Thai Buddhist Temple in Baling)"
- "My Home Town....."
- "Baling ~ In the State of Kedah"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baling
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Baling?Share Your Travels
Top 10 Pages
- George Town Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Tignes Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Geneva Intro, 10 reviews
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews
- Brugge Intro, 8 reviews
- Tokyo Intro, 7 reviews
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews
- Vatican City Intro, 6 reviews
- Mexico City Intro, 4 reviews, 1 photo
No friends yet.