"Saagar's Seychelles" Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles by Saagar
Seychelles Travel Guide: 906 reviews and 2,162 photos
Normally, the postcards picture a place prettier than it is. However, with the Seychelles this is not possible. There isn't much to complain about in the Seychelles, as long as you adjust to the fact that the price level is high (for me as that at home), and that there are some peculiar immigration and currency regulations that you have to observe.
I have been there twice, first time in December 1996, and now in February. Give me the money: I am ready to go again!
This time I had company, The Lady, and we had studied our options well by means of internet beforehand. Based on this we could choose hotel, itinerary and negotiate with our local (Oslo) travel agent for improved options. Travel cost (airfare+local travel) and hotel cost (B&B) came to about equal amounts for 15 days. This time as my past experience; it is hard for any tropical destination to beat La Digue island. We also went to Praslin (day trip) and Mahe.
... the Seychelles should be your place. This is not a tropical party place, but a fairly simple place where sophistication is in nature, and perhaps indoors; your hotel if you go upmarket.
Politics has been though here, too, but nevertheless people here enjoy a life standard way beyond that of the African mainland. There is an air of sophistication around people, too, something that comes out of pride, education and self-confidence and the knowledge that a better place to live (hadn't it been for the low income) is hard to beat. While the history of slavery rumbles in the past, the social sophistication here looks beyond race and looks and origin for leads. While you will hear that there is not general contentment, these factors nevetheless contribute strongly - for me, anyway -to make the Seychelles such a pleasure to visit.
Even the rainy season can be fine, and it won't rain every day, all the time. Just be a little prepared. Get your bearings and expectations right.
The equatorial monsoon climate keeps the trade winds going. So you will have wind for most of the part, but in this still equatorial parts (3 degrees south or so) never any cyclones or heavy storms to worry about.
The trade winds shift twice a year, and around those times, the sea will be at the calmest (end of September into October, and April). Outside those times you should check the aspect of your hotel and the advertised hotel beach - it may be impossible to swim due to crashing waves! Finding a hotel on the calm side could be useful..
But waves can be fun, too if you are in control and the bottom is not rocky.
- Pros:Fantastic nature and climate, excellent food, the Seychellois enjoy a good life quality.
- Cons:Expensive, difficult to avoid fairly high-cost accomodation. Not a singles' place or a big-party place.
- In a nutshell:People and nature - diversity and beauty
The case for yiourins the boat(s): If you want to do a day trip to la Digue on the cheap, go by the first catamaran in... more travel advice
There are lots of fun things to do under water, much interesting stuff to study for those who are keen. more travel advice
- See All Getting to the Seychelles
- See All Weather and surf forecast for the...
- See All A very good book on the Seychelles
- See All Local flavour and pizza on Beau Vallon
- See All Stagepost for arriving and departing...
- See All Snorkelling
Saagar's Related Pages
Seychelles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saagar's Seychelles"
- "Granite Boulders"
- "truly Paradise"
- "Island Paradise"
- "Garden of Eden"
- ""Sunchild's" Seychelles Page"
- "The Seychelles"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seychelles
- Hotels in Seychelles
- Transportation in Seychelles
- Nightlife in Seychelles
- Restaurants in Seychelles
- Shopping in Seychelles
- Warnings and Dangers in Seychelles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seychelles
- 70 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Seychelles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seychelles
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: a small/nice hotel or other..."
- Commented on one of Saagar's Seychelles tips
- Wrote a Review Getting to the Seychelles in Seychelles Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Snorkelling outside the reef on La Digue"
- updated a Seychelles Travelogue "The wonderful flowers of the Seychelles"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues