"Nairobi - Crossroads of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi Area by Saagar
Nairobi Area Travel Guide: 724 reviews and 1,697 photos
Nairobi is really the crossroads of Africa. Here you have the air transport links to just about every corner of the continent, and hre you have several Pan-African organisations and instiutions. People from all over Africa also converge on this city as hopeful immigrants and treasure seekers, business people, rural migrants, refugees, globetrotters, safari tourists and aid workers. Nairobi is both rootless and continental. Hard to describe, really. The city is interesting, at least there are interesting lements for a traveller, but also slums and hopelessness, nondecript office buildings and colonial and some more well-thought-of modern architecture. Coming in from a safari or long roadtrip or months in the bush, Nairobi must be like heaven: reading, feeding, relaxing, showering and recovering.
First thing: have a Tusker! Always good after a safe landing at the hotel lobby bar coming into Nairobi.
If you have business to do here, I suppose all is set, if you are a tourist/transit traveller, things are different... You may have to get things organised, check out the city and get a feel for it. My advice, do not linger, and be determined and picky when you visit Nairobi. After a long overland or bush visit the food is Nairobi is very welcome: Asian, Italian, Afrcian sea food and Nile perch, the Carnivore. Rinse off the desert dust in a hotel swimming pool. There are museums and gardens and some beauty to behold. Seeing the other side of Nairobi is a wake-up call for social activism; the Kebere and Mathara slums, Africa's biggest, is a challenge, cruel as they are in their simplisity and profound dehumanising ways. Having come from far away, the scenery around Nairobi is something to behold. You can get a few days' good activities by using Nairobi as a day tripping base. There is some good shopping here, too; Africana, books, clothing. But do not linger, get organised and get out of here!
Be careful in Nairobi; this is not a safe place to visit unless you take some extra care. Check for local advice once there - which streets are ok, which are not. Hotel break-ins happen, car jackings likewise. Street muggings are common and pickpocketing on minibuses - the matatus - are standard fare for unaware visitors.
I am not particularily paranoid, and nothing has ever happened to me in Nairobi, but the advice I was given of mapping which places to avoid in the city and how to move streetwise and watching valuables have been good. Friends who did not adhere to advice had to pay for it... A couple of times I have had armed guards assigned to me while on job duties in town at off-hours, but that was exceptional. Never walk alone in central Nairobi after dark - take a taxi. Avoid dark parks. Together with locals I have visited the dreaded slums of Kebere and Mathare without anything but friendliness and genuine hospitality been shown to me.
Adhere to local advice, use hotel safes and don't be paranoid - that sums it up.
Unless you have a tour bus or a friend with a car, do take a reliable taxi to the International Airport. It's about 20... more travel advice
Apparently very popular - it was very busy when i went with a couple of friends on a regular workday evening. Both... more travel advice
Saagar's Related Pages
Nairobi Area Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nairobi, the capital of Kenya"
- "Nairobi - Crossroads of Africa"
- "My hometown"
- "Nairobi and the Giraffe Manner"
- "Modern capital without a real identity"
- "Our family trip to Nairobi"
- "Safari days 29 - 30"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nairobi Area
- Hotels in Nairobi Area
- Transportation in Nairobi Area
- Nightlife in Nairobi Area
- Restaurants in Nairobi Area
- Shopping in Nairobi Area
- Warnings and Dangers in Nairobi Area
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nairobi Area
- 14 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Nairobi Area?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nairobi Area
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues