"Saagar's Eritrea pages" Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea by Saagar
Eritrea Travel Guide: 230 reviews and 757 photos
Eritrea is a fascinating country on the edge of Africa. There is a bit of another flair to this place that you do not get many other places in Africa. It is definitely laid-back, but it is also efficient and quick, resourceful and elegant in its solutions and approaches.
Politically, however, the situation of late does not really invite to come here: the border war with Ethiopia and an entrenched politics at the cost of press and speech freedom and a beginning political paranoia. Apart from the strains of war, the other elements of downturn is not hitting visitors with a sensible behaviour, so it's definitely still a place to visit.
The ancient (Abyssinian) history and historical shared with Ethiopia is fascinating, so is recent history with the Italian colonisation, and subsequent Ethiopian regimes' rules over their land.
The war of independence and subsequent realisation as an independent nation was a major feat that drew international attention and sympathy and support. In a way they won over both the Soviets and the Americans both whom used the Ethiopian Dergue as their proxy.
These are key reasons to visit and learn about Eritrea:
- The history of independence
- A fantastic desert scenery and- very dramatic arid landscapes
- Asmara's colonial architecture
- Excellent Italian-inspired coffee culture, the best coffee in Africa
- The best and most beautiful city in Africa
- Massawa's beaches
- Massawa's grilled fish and other food
- Superb desert coastline down toward Assab
- The Dhalak Archipelago
The northern Danakil desert and depression
- The Massawa-Asmara railway partly in operation.
To set out and see some of the more remote areas of Eritrea is for the hardy ones.
The lowlands are exceedingly hot. Northern Danakil bordering Ethiopia, is in fact the world's hottest place.
The Gash Barka desert valleys are fascinating, with some wildlife here in north-west Eritrea, and an interesting rainfed agricultural production. The highlands is where the independence struggle took form and reminders of this are strewn around in the Eritrean landscape in the form of blown-up and rusty burnt-out tanks and trucks. More recent reminders about the cost of independence and a big brother south of the border are heaped closer to the Ethiopian border.
- Pros:Proud people with a history of capital letters. Beautiful landscapes, good food and drink.
- Cons:Difficult to travel, political repression, tourist costs high.
Cont'd.... Ethiopia is loosing face at home over the ruling of the UN border commission, and turning it into a hopeless... more travel advice
After the liberation from Ethiopia there was such an opening up in Eritrea, such a happy nation. After two subsequent... more travel advice
- See All Book 1: Mai Weini: A highland village in...
- See All Languages and people of Eritrea
- See All Keren's market
- Eritreans are party lovers
- See All Traditions and spice
Saagar's Related Pages
Eritrea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eritrea: The Forgotten Gem of Africa"
- "Saagar's Eritrea pages"
- "Eritrea: tips, hints and recommendations"
- "Eric Eritrea Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eritrea
- Hotels in Eritrea
- Transportation in Eritrea
- Nightlife in Eritrea
- Restaurants in Eritrea
- Shopping in Eritrea
- Warnings and Dangers in Eritrea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eritrea
- 37 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Eritrea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eritrea
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues