"Oppland - the central inland county" Oppland by Saagar
Oppland Travel Guide: 349 reviews and 853 photos
Oppland county is very large and covers the central part of inland southern Norway. Of most interest to visitors are the Jotunheimen, Dovre and Rondane mountains and some major valleys, rivers and lakes. The settlements are small, the biggest - and only real towns - being Gjøvik and Lillehammer, neither exceeds 30.000 people.
Travelling north-south through Oppland gives you a misrepresentation of the county geographically speaking, as the main roads lead through populated valleys and low-level areas with Dovre as the main exception. To get the real picture, travel out of the valleys and see for yourself that people and roads tend to follow narrow valleys and that you do not have to venture many kilometres out before there is forests, lakes and mountain wilderness.
There are some interesting stretches of road worth travelling at leisure, such as the Dovre (E6) and Venabufjellet (from Ringebu to Folldal) roads, Sognefjellet and Strynefjellet roads to the coastal regions in the west, and the Valdres area with the Jotunheimen road, Valdresflya and the crossings toward Laerdal as worth seeing.
Generally, the county offer al sorts of activites for tourists and travellers, but the smaller communities and towns come across as somewhat boring and unexceptional. The may serve as staging posts for ventures into the wilderness or in transit. Lillehammer (see my VT pages) is the sole town worth a visit, but you can cover other towns of Lake Mjøsa including Gjøvik (biggest in Opland) by taking the Skibladner paddle steamer.
The lowlands of Hadeland, the Lake Mjøsa and Randsfjorden areas harbour nice agricultural landscapes and some interesting cultural heritage type things, worth stopping here and there en route. Assuming that your travel goes north out of Oslo/back south, several alternative itineraries can be made with some creative stops.
The mountain areas are spectacular; Jotunheimen is like a smallish Alpine area with glaciers and peaks, Rondane is a dry, lichen covered mountain massif carved up by past glacier creating a spectacular and easily accessible hiking terrain. Out fo Jotunheimen comes several rivers, some of them offer excpetional rafting and other water sports adventures. And there are other mountain areas as well, all accessible, just use your map and don't always follow the beaten path and main tourist info/guide books.
Out of Spiterstulen cottage there are daily (season and weather permitting) guided trips to the Svellnosbreen glacier... more travel advice
Northern Gudbrandsdalen area is locally known for lack of intra-municipal collaboration and quarrelsome - or to be... more travel advice
Saagar's Related Pages
Oppland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The lonely heights of Oppland"
- "welcome to Valdres"
- "Oppland - the central inland county"
- "oppland has many things to offer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oppland
- Hotels in Oppland
- Transportation in Oppland
- Nightlife in Oppland
- Restaurants in Oppland
- Shopping in Oppland
- Warnings and Dangers in Oppland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oppland
- 86 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Oppland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oppland
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 3 reviews, 16777215 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues