Tajikistan Transportation Tips by Saagar Top 5 Page for this destination
Tajikistan Transportation: 11 reviews and 14 photos
If you have driven the Dushanbe-Khojand route by car or bus once, I am nearly certain you will contemplate taking the plane back.
The planes of Tajikistan Airlines fly frequently between Khojand and Dushanbe, so that's not a big deal, and the fare is only about USD 50, so it's doable. Easy transit, about 35-45 minutes. Compare that to 20 by car.
In Khojand the planes fly from an airport in Chkalovsk, some ways out of Khojand, maybe 25-30 minutes.
Flight from Tajikistan landing in St. Petersburg
I found the Istanbul-Dushanbe flight by Turkish Airlines to be the best in terms of certainty of departing and arriving on time in Dushanbe. The flight was "only" 45 minutes late into Dushanbe. Unfortunately it is a weekly flight only. It connects very well to several flights from elsewhere in the world.
The most frequent one is the daily route Moscow-Dushanbe-Moscow by Tajikistan Airlines, Aeroflot and partners (Demodovodo Airlines), and a flight from St. Petersburg direct to Dushanbe.
I found that information about flights to and from Tajikistan is haphazard and schedules might be changed decades ago. Do not trust schedules and home pages... The flights that seem to survive the wear and tear of history are the daily link to Moscow, flights to St. Petersburg, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Dubai and to some but not all neighboring states. No flights to India, Pakistan, China, Uzbekistan or Iran found after considerable research.
Flying Bangkok/Delhi-Istanbul-Dushanbe - or similar - appears to be the best link from South/SouthEast Asia. Kabul is not an option via Delhi due to 3-day layovers in Kabul. But you may also consider flying all the way to Moscow from other places in Asia first. From Africa and even other parts of Asia and Europe, travelling via the Gulf might be an option, too. From Europe, however, flights via Moscow and St. Petersburg will be the clue to success.
The travel agency www.travelpartner.no did a good job in organising tickets.
More Reviews (17)
- See All Long-distance taxi drivers will be...
- See All Tajikistan's borders
- See All Satellite photo of Fan
- See All Plain rocks.... radiation!
Saagar's Related Pages
Tajikistan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tajikistan - gateway to the Pamirs :-))"
- "Tajikistan - pieces of a puzzle"
- "Tajikistan: Ancient Persia is Alive"
- "Forgotten Wonderland"
- "Activities in Tajikistan"
- "Tajikistan - a hospitable land"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tajikistan
- Hotels in Tajikistan
- Transportation in Tajikistan
- Nightlife in Tajikistan
- Restaurants in Tajikistan
- Shopping in Tajikistan
- Warnings and Dangers in Tajikistan
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bidston Hotels
- `Iraq al Amir Hotels
- Hermana Mayor Island Hotels
- Cle Elum
- Departamento de Chalatenango Hotels
- Bol Transportation
- Ogunquit Transportation
- Tintern Abbey Transportation
- Kanchipuram Transportation
- Pontresina Transportation
- Villach Transportation
- Woolacombe Transportation
- O'Hare International Airport
- United Arab Emirates Transportation
- Pulau Perhentian Besar Transportation
- State of Punjab Transportation
- Meguro Transportation
Badges & Stats in Tajikistan
- 49 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Tajikistan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tajikistan
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: a small/nice hotel or other..."
- updated a Tajikistan Travel Page "Tajikistan - pieces of a puzzle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dushanbe to Khojand by car"
- Wrote a Review Long-distance taxi drivers will be unhappy in Tajikistan Tourist Traps
- Commented on one of Trekki's Tajikistan travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues