"Saagar's Bangladesh pages" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh by Saagar
Bangladesh Travel Guide: 465 reviews and 1,289 photos
Yes, in many ways Bangladesh is a surprise.
Within its short recent history of independence (since '71), political turmoil and bad news has been much of the news heard of the country in foreign media.
But there is another side to Bangladesh that is worth exploring. It is a genuinely unique place to visit for a number of reasons:
- The Bangladeshi countryside is very green and beautiful.
- The people are beautiful and welcoming and curious
- The seafood is very good
- There are some significant places of historical and ecological interest.
Most of these things are unknown to travellers - "why bother about Bangladesh?" seems to be the sentiment. But as you will see in other's VT tips sections, many find Bangladesh an easier place to travel in than India. But, like for India, you got to be well prepared.
This was the slogan of the government tourist company, the Parjatan Corporation, when I first visited Bangladesh in 1980.
I came back in 1986 only to see the same catchy slogan.
In 2001 I visited again, but didn't look for the sign. But by the number of bona fide tourists I could see, I could deduct that the slogan hadn't been much successful.
And I am hoping to find a new opportunity to go, and I'll report on the signage then!
Parjatan Corporation: http://www.bangladeshtourism.gov.bd/
Cox' Bazaar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox's_Bazar_District
Chittagong Hill Tracts: http://www.angelfire.com/ab/jumma/cht.html
St. Martins Island: http://travel.discoverybangladesh.com/travel-St.Martins-nijhum-island.html
- Pros:Wonderful countryside, amazing life in the cities
- Cons:Crowded, hard travelling
Google Earth is actually a good tool for travel planning to Bangladesh. The sat photo coverage is of good detail and... more travel advice
Aarong has a series of outlets in Bangladesh (7 at the last count), and an export branch at the head office in... more travel advice
- See All Delhi Night Life
- See All Hot chillies
- Sweet peanut sellers
- See All Buddhist influence in the Raozan area of...
- See All Flimsy bridges
Saagar's Related Pages
Bangladesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saagar's Bangladesh pages"
- "A big relief after India"
- "My first Foreign Tour"
- "My Once Upon a Time Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangladesh
- Hotels in Bangladesh
- Transportation in Bangladesh
- Nightlife in Bangladesh
- Restaurants in Bangladesh
- Shopping in Bangladesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangladesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangladesh
- 78 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Bangladesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangladesh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues