Greenland Shopping Tips by Saagar Top 5 Page for this destination
Greenland Shopping: 3 reviews and 1 photos
Among the warmes furs available: the Greenland dog
Many shops and also iundividuals will sell you Grenland dog furs.
What to buy: Greenland dog fur, super warm. It used to do the owner good,so why not in the after life?
What to pay: A nice, large dog fur will cost less than 400 but more than 200 DKR. I saw several nice ones for about 250.
Furs are sold at supermarkets, in particularily I noticed the Pisifik stores, and a more varied selection is available at tourist shops, souvenir stores, tourist agencies etc.
What to buy: It is common to wear local furs in Greenland, and some of the fur clothing is also made for an international market. The main furs you'll come across are from ringed seals and greenland seals. Baby seal furs were never a Greenlandic tradition, so this you will not find. Fancy polar bear furs are not avialable, only pants. The polar bear hide/fur is deliberately cut into strips for local clothes making, not for sale to an international clientele. Full furs, if you find them, are probably legal imports from Canada. The fur hunt and trade is made under CITES supervision, and unusual items will carry a CITES certificate. If not, inquire and do not buy.
However, most common fur clothing like vests, anoraks and more modern styles are both practical, attractive, warm, nice and good use of natural resources. No need for oil drilling to get this outdoor gear produced.
I found the anoraks with or without polar bear/dog fur lining in the hood very nice, but alas, too expensive for me. The vests are nice, too, but have a more limited use.
What to pay: From DKR 4-500 for fur lined caps etc, up to DKR 20.000 for full-length furs. A vest about 2500, anorak 9000.
Theme: Local Craft
Often clothing sections in supermarkets, Pisifik or Brugsen, or in hardware stores.
What to buy: Generally, the outdoor clothing for sale in Greenland is geared for a local market of hunters, fishermen, workers in cold climes and general city clothing. It's heavy, sturdy, well insulated, most of it geared toward motorised or dog-sled transportation. The best idea for visitors is to stock up on lightweight hiking gear and sports equipment from home.
But if going dog-sledding in the winter, ice fishing or boating, you can get it all locally.
What to pay: Like in Denmark
Theme: Men's Clothes
More Reviews (49)
- See All Travel agency specializing on Greenland
- See All Net resources for East Greenland
- See All Travel agencies specializing in...
- See All Great pastels
- See All Convenient and good in Ilulissat
- See All While in transit in Copenhagen...
Saagar's Related Pages
Greenland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayornamut - Saagar's Greenland pages"
- "Welcome to the high north"
- "Greenland from the air"
- "Gateway to Greenland via Kangerlussuaq"
- "Greenland seen from the air"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenland
- Hotels in Greenland
- Transportation in Greenland
- Nightlife in Greenland
- Restaurants in Greenland
- Shopping in Greenland
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenland
- 52 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Greenland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenland
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: a small/nice hotel or other..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "While in transit in Copenhagen..."
- Wrote a Review Travel agency specializing on Greenland in Greenland Transportation
- Commented on one of glenn57's Greenland travel pages
- updated a Greenland Travelogue "North-East Greenland"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues