Greenland Local Custom Tips by Saagar Top 5 Page for this destination
Greenland Local Customs: 11 reviews and 12 photos
Kindergarden fence. Ilulissat
The Greenlanders may also have tired of a grey sky. The result is that the color schemes of Greenland's towns and settlements are incredible. This colorfulness contrasts vividly with the bleak landscapes, bad west coast (at least) weather and winter depressions. You can have a photo safari checking out the colorful houses!
The time concept goes well with natural conditions
Greenlandic culture has a relaxed time concept. Perhaps not exactly a manjana attitude, but definitiely not a time concept governed by the watch. Be aware of this and adjust accordingly, and you can take delays and unexpected twists of things much better and more comfortably.
Halibut soon to be at Brædtet
"Brædtet" is the common market place for hunters and fishermen where they sell their goodies straight to consumers. Every community of some size will have such a market place. In the more fancy places, like Ilulissat, it will be actually be an indoor market.
Brædtet is useful for visitors in terms of seeing the results of local hunting and fishing as a touristy thing, and perhaps more relevant, this is where you can buy meat and fish for dinner and cook it up yourself on your camp stove or self-catering accommodation.
A typical selection at Brædtet will include geese, ducks, various sea birds, arctic char (fish), wolf fish, redfish, cod, Greenland Halibut, some herring-like small fish and perhaps some other deep water fish. On the meat side, depending where you are visiting, you will find the four-leggeds: reindeer, musk oxen, lamb, even the odd ox in the south. On the flipper side of things there will be various types of seal meat, minke whale, occasionally fin whale and narwhale and others. The latter category sometimes include some not-to-be-caught-whales and other out-of-season catches, so the natural resources inspection teams from Greenlandic authorities keep a watch on what's up at Brædtet.
This, and the campaigning by Greenpeace means that you should definitiely lay low while at Brædtet - camera-touting tourists are NOT welcome and the locals will throw you out. Do NOT get into an argument. This is a local institution and for the most part about survival at the margins, and blood red meat is a part of that survival. Respect Greenlandic lifestyle!
More Reviews (49)
- See All Travel agency specializing on Greenland
- See All Can't affort a polar bear skin?
- See All Net resources for East Greenland
- See All Travel agencies specializing in...
- See All Convenient and good in Ilulissat
- See All While in transit in Copenhagen...
Saagar's Related Pages
Greenland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayornamut - Saagar's Greenland pages"
- "Welcome to the high north"
- "Greenland from the air"
- "Gateway to Greenland via Kangerlussuaq"
- "Greenland seen from the air"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenland
- Hotels in Greenland
- Transportation in Greenland
- Nightlife in Greenland
- Restaurants in Greenland
- Shopping in Greenland
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenland
- 52 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Greenland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenland
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: a small/nice hotel or other..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "While in transit in Copenhagen..."
- Wrote a Review Travel agency specializing on Greenland in Greenland Transportation
- Commented on one of glenn57's Greenland travel pages
- updated a Greenland Travelogue "North-East Greenland"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues