Svalbard Favorite Tips by Saagar Top 5 Page for this destination
Svalbard Favorites: 26 reviews and 42 photos
Svalbard community www.svalbard.net
Favorite thing: Svalbard.net is the community internet source in Svalbard where organisations, businesses, individuals, clubs and community info of various kinds, events etc will be posted. Check it out. Particularily useful if you are going here for a prolonged time period.
Info on living on Svalbard from SSD
Favorite thing: The web site www.ssd.no (Svalbard Community Service) is the local government pages for Svalbard. Check it out for listings of cultural activities, sports, various community services etc.
Hjortfjellet and Longyearbyen
Favorite thing: There is a web cam located at the old harbour, Longyearbyen, pointed towards the Isfjord and Hjortfjellet mountain. Check conditions before you go by looking at: www.aftenposten.no/webcam/?kart=detailj&id=87
There are also other web cams priovded through a link on svalbard.com. See http://www.svalbard.com/webcam/
Day or night - or inbetween?
Favorite thing: There is no sun at Longyearbyen, Svalbard from 26 October to 16 February.
The coming of the sun is celebrated with a Light Feast in Longyearbyen.
However, there is a good chance to see the Northern Lights - Aurora Borealis; see web pages http://geo.phys.uit.no/index.html.
Favorite thing: There is a small hospital in Longyearbyen with a resident surgeon. For really very serious cases, patients are airlifted to Tromsø or Oslo University clinics. There are helicopters stationed at Svalbard that have air ambulance capacity.
You find the hospital in a fairly large yellowish building on the main pedestrian street in Longyearbyen.
In addition there is a private medical doctor service, too, in the same area where Spitsbergen Travel start their tours from, down at the Ingeniør Paulsen's building. His name is Jon Sandmo, phone 79022040/90186536 for appointment. www.polarlegesenteret.no
Interestingly, birthing is not allowed at Svalbard, so pregnant women are sent back to the mainland by plane a month or so prior to expected date of giving birth. I presume that in case of complications coinciding with bad weather, the mother and child might be in trouble given the insufficient facilities in Longyearbyen.
Right conditions for an outing? Nordenskjold Peak
Favorite thing: Check these links for weather forecast for Svalbard:
Favorite thing: Longyearbyen has midnight sun from 19 April to 23 August.
Lawyers a bit down to the left...
Favorite thing: Your husband got eaten by a polar bear? Complaints about being cheated by a cruise organiser? Wrangling with the Sysselmannen over expedition permits? If you need assistance in dealing with the law, there are at least three lawyers in (or experienced in) Longyearbyen:
Advokat Skotte: phone 88003040, e-mail email@example.com www.skotte.no
Advokatkontoret i Longyearbyen, personnel present every 4 weeks from the firm Haavind Vislie, otherwise the main office is in Oslo, call 22433000. In Longyearbyen: Mr. Håkon Bleken firstname.lastname@example.org, and Mr. Geir Steinberg email@example.com
The lawyers' office in Longyearbyen is located in the business house (Næringsbygget) on the main pedestrian drag, or P.O.Box 403, NO-9171 Longyearbyen. In Oslo: Bygdøy Alle 2.
Nice to know where it is
Favorite thing: If you need a planning map for Svalbard, then look at this web address:
There are also other maps on this site, that belongs to the Governor of Svalbard.
A glacier in Adventdalen
Favorite thing: Svalbard Reiseliv AS is the key tourism organisation at Svalbard. You can find a lot of info through their web side.
Tel +47 79025550
More Reviews (131)
- See All Shopping for maps of Svalbard
- See All The Pub I never got into
- See All Packing for a weekend on Svalbard
- See All Things to do during a Svalbard weekend
- See All Weekend offers
- See All Svalbard Airport Longyear - LYR: latest...
- See All Carrying guns while shopping - bad taste
- See All Football on Svalbard
- See All Gun rental for polar bear protection
- See All Compulsory insurance off the beaten path
- See All Tourist map of Spitzbergen and the...
- See All A drink in the snow
Saagar's Related Pages
Svalbard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saagar's Svalbard pages"
- "Svalbard - or - Spitzbergen"
- "Svalbard / Spitzbergen -as far north as possible"
- "Svalbard on wintertime"
- "Svalbard Archipelago"
- "The end of the road (if there was one)"
- "Svalbard Expedition"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Svalbard
- Hotels in Svalbard
- Transportation in Svalbard
- Nightlife in Svalbard
- Restaurants in Svalbard
- Shopping in Svalbard
- Warnings and Dangers in Svalbard
- See All...
Explore the World
- Agadir Hotels
- Castellina in Chianti
- Wilmington Hotels
- Batu Kawa Hotels
- Belconnen Hotels
- Le Cap d'Agde
Badges & Stats in Svalbard
- 141 Reviews
- 186 Photos
- 34 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Svalbard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Svalbard
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: a small/nice hotel or other..."
- Commented on one of Saagar's Svalbard tips
- updated a Svalbard Travelogue "Things to do in Longyearbyen - WINTER"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Things to do in Longyearbyen - WINTER"
- Wrote a Review Shopping for maps of Svalbard in Svalbard Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues