Asker Things to Do Tips by Saagar
Asker Things to Do: 25 reviews and 16 photos
This is the oldest house on Konglungen island and was moved here from Ostøya ("Cheese island" - sic) in 1820. Not so impressive. But the place is a museum run by Asker Museum and has an exibit over life and things from the old days. Open May-September. On every Sunday there is a lecture on local coastal cultural history.
Address: Konglungen, Asker
Directions: Take off from the 165 road at Kiwi (the green grocery strore) and travel all the way out to Konglungen. You amy also easily use the bus, walk or bike out there. Or take your boat?
In the right season of wild berries you should absolutely get off the main road(s) and into the woods to pick berries.
The earliest will be the wild strawberries, then blueberries, after that cowberries and raspberries into the autumn. In certain warm spots you may also find blackberries in the Oslofjord area.
The lazy ones can find a "selvplukk" farm ("pick the berries yourself") and not bother with the big search for the berry spots.Normally signposted for strawberries. Local inquisitiveness may be required for black and red currants, raspberries, plums, apples etc. But you will find such places between Vettre and Slemmestad along the 165 coastal road. Look out for Åby Gård, and Østenstad and places around Vollen.
Directions: You will find berry farms between Vettre and Slemmestad along the 165 coastal road. Look out for Åby Gård, and Østenstad and places around Vollen. Wild berries outside main roads and population.
Other Contact: www.oslopuls.no "bær i marka"
This tip is no longer valid. I will add new info about a new taxi boat service later.
Handlesstedet Bærums Verk is an old industrial and trading community that has adjusted to become a mordern trading post. If going for a family shopping tour, this place is OK. Pre-Christmas program that are dream-like and very nice, very good for children. Some good restaurants here as well, but no shopping complex feeling.
Directions: From Sandvika on E16, take off toward Bærums Verk, exit no 2 after the Hamang tunnel. Follow signs from there. Buses 753 and 143 from Oslo go here.
Organically grown food and a cafe in a farm near the main road through Asker. Pretty nice.
They serve lunch and cakes.
Open Tue, Wed and Thursdays 11-14 hrs.
Address: Åstadveien 37, Billingstad.
Skui Gård (farm) offers a pre-Christmas tree felling celebration geared especially at children. You can buy a freshly cut one or cut yourself. Bonfire hot dog BBQ, gingerbread cookies, hot drinks etc. Horse riding mid day hours.
This is a yearly event and for upcoming December's details check their web site.
Address: Skui Gård, Gamle Jarenvei 119, Skui/Sandvika
Hebbe Lilles Galleri at Vollen
Hebbe Lille, or Øyvind Jordfald, has a small visual arts gallery at Vollen Handelssted. It's located in a small, attractive building , and boast its own cuckoo clock on the outer north wall. Lunch guests at Kafe Oscar will be greeted at noon every day by Øyvind's gigantic cuckoo. Unless he has a soar throat...
Vollen community, site of VUL
In particular, if you are looking forward to a prolonged visit to Asker, perhaps moving here, check out the activities of "Kulturskolen" - the culture School - of Vollen to the south of Asker centre. It is run by the volunteer organisation Vollen Ungdomslag (Vollen Youth Club).
Their main program is geared toward cultural activities and festivals and maintaining the roots of culture and the variations of arts; the school does this in the form of evening courses and classes. In the old days such youth clubs used to be the main carrier of community life apart from governmental and religious institutions. Nowadays it is reduced to maintaining living arts creativity and folklore. Very nice indeed - and V.U.L. does a good job.
Address: Vollen (se contact numbers etc. on web site)
Only one farm offers pick-yourself strawberries in Asker, and that is Aaby Gård near Blakstad. The season is fairly short (early-mid July), so keep an eye on roadside advertisements at Aaby or the press for notices.
Other farms offer fresh strawberries sold at the farm, such as Butterud Gård, Butterudveien 80, 1339 Vøyenenga. Phone 67130749.
The main season for raspberry picking is later July - early August at farms, further into August for wild raspberries.
The following farms offer pick-yourself-raspberries:
1) Linlandet Hagebruk Hans Østenstadvei 14, Vollen, tel 90091685.
2) Østenstad Hagebruk, Østenstadveien 22, 1392 Vettre, tel 66782559/ 90208066.
3) Felskum Gård (Bærum), Dæliveien 127. Tel 67553180/ 91792413
More Reviews (133)
- See All At Bjerkås, surprisingly tasty food, big...
- See All A conference hotel with more than ...
- See All Autumn book market at Holmen
- See All Picking mushrooms
- See All Hindu temple in Asker
- See All Ski bus to Solli
- See All Climate change - will Asker be...
- See All Blues in Asker
- See All Trouble with trees?
- See All Special shipping, cargo needs?
- No tourist traps???
- Don't come without bathing gear during...
Saagar's Related Pages
Asker Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Asker!"
- "My hometown - Asker"
- "Asker living no joy"
- "My home until summer 2002"
- "Asker - the place where I grew up"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asker
- Hotels in Asker
- Transportation in Asker
- Nightlife in Asker
- Restaurants in Asker
- Shopping in Asker
- Warnings and Dangers in Asker
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pelileo Hotels
- Ongkharak Hotels
- Cotati Hotels
- Dushanbe Hotels
- Krasnodarskiy Kray
Badges & Stats in Asker
- 161 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Asker?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asker
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues