"Florø - the westernmost city in Norway" Florø by Saagar
Florø Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 20 photos
Few visitors - tourists - would come to Florø aiming only at that. While Florø is a nice small coastal town with a fairly well-kept architectural-style town centre, the real beauty of this place lies in the surroundings. Florø can easily be visited by the coastal express liner ("hurtigruta"), fast coastal passenger ships, express buses, and airlinks and by car.
It may come as a surprise, but Florø is one of the most international towns in Norway. This is mainly due to Florøites being travelling people of the fishing fleet, merchant marine, export businesses like fish exports, aquaculture and ship machinery etc. Also, the location so far west, with Shetland and Scotland just as close by in the imagination and practice as Oslo.
Florø must have been inhabited since the ice cap vanished some 10-12 000 years ago, given the proximity to rich fisheries. The location on the far west edge of a narrow penninsula between Nordfjord and Sognefjord makes it the westernmost town in Norway. Fisheries were also the reason for the build-up of this community into a real town. Especially the rich herring catches after the second world war brough investment and well-being to Florø. After the fisheries collapsed Florø has diversified and is now a town of small-scale industries, small businesses, public administration, tourism and still some fishing industries, mainly deep sea trawling.
It doesn't take much time to explore the town. There are some nice houses mixed with some newer architectural violations, the nice main street near the harbour, and a few good places to eat and sleep.
The real good stuff about Florø is the proximity to some fantastic mountains, glaciers, rivers, lakes and the fjords, islands and skerries of the sea. The islands are easily accessible because many are inhabited and there are scheduled boat connections to them. Florø is an underestimated startng points for many nice mountain hikes, especially towards the Ålfoten glacier areas..
To the casual visitor in transit, Florø is worth a stop on the way north, east or south, for the more intrepid, a week can easily be spent here without boredom, exploring the surrounding areas.
- Pros:Upbeat community spirit, great surroundings
- Cons:An awful lot of rain at times...
- In a nutshell:You leave Florø very refreshed ;-)
Interesting, the municipality has ordered a ban on sales of beer from supermarkets and groceries. Thus, here is a... more travel advice
Many of the islands of Flora are accessible by kayaks. Bring your own or rent, park the car and set out, just observe... more travel advice
- The upper part of the Bible belt
- See All Check the weather live!
- See All Stabben lighthouse
- See All Free bikes in Florø!!!
Saagar's Related Pages
Florø Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Florø - the westernmost city in Norway"
- "Florø Page"
- "Daniel5's new Floro Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florø
- Hotels in Florø
- Transportation in Florø
- Restaurants in Florø
- Shopping in Florø
- Warnings and Dangers in Florø
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florø
- 22 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Florø?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florø
Photos in FlorøSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues