Kristiansand Things to Do Tips by Saagar Top 5 Page for this destination
Kristiansand Things to Do: 13 reviews and 24 photos
Named "Dyreparken", the family entertainment park 8 kms east of Kristiansand city is more than an animal park. It is probably the single biggest attraction south of Oslo, but that should not necessarily to stop. This is essentially an entertainment park for small-children-families and children aged 2-12. For those beyond that there are the bathing facilities (huge water play area), The Jungle Land climbing area, a collection of animals here seemingly living good lives: tigers, lions, an African savanna replica, animals from Scandinavia, some monkeys, crocs etc., quite interesting.
The big draws, however, you will understand when you see the small pirates and Tante Sofie-dressed girls who are returning from Kardemomme By (Cardamom Town) and Kaptein Sabeltanns pirate ship (Captain Sabretooth). The first is a small town, built on the stories of the author Torbjørn Egner, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorbj%C38rn_Egner , the town actually modelled out of a Moroccan mountain town(!). The other one is a pirate harbour built on stories by Terje Formoe, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terje_Formoe . Played out in both places are musicals for children. Captain Sabretooth's stuff is for those children that are not easily scared. Adults also find it entertaining, check a segment of the play on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwqChfwnap8 - it's becoming a cult song and frequently played on full volume on beer parties!
The area is huge, so to see all you will need more than one day. It is pricey, so consider getting a cheaper multiday tickets if you will be visiting more than a day.
The best way of seeking info is actually on the web.
The big disappointment for me in Dyreparken - and I spent three days there - was the food: fast food junkets, french fries, soggy burgers, very little that I would consider fresh, healthy and appetizing. Commercial sponsors of Dyreparken seem to have been given the licence to provide the food, so with some exemptions you are stuck with it and it is not good. and made worse by tired and inexperienced youthful, probably cheap staff on summerjobs. In particular the eateries in the Africa theme area were dirty and not good. A BBQ buffet is probably worth it, but you need to preorder tables. Bring your own food if you take my hint.
The activities put on for children means forever staying in lines for your turn. Opt for something else if possible, or avoid to Dyreparken the two last weeks of July.
Address: All in one area right on E18, see website for map.
Directions: Conveniently located on E18 8 km east of Kristiansand. Huge parking facilities available on busy days, prepare for a bit of walking. See web site.
Other Contact: www.badelandet.no
Kristiansand is well known here for its festivals. It reached notoriety last summer when a couple was making it out on stage to the rythms of Cum Shots at the Quart Festival (rock music). Definitely a good advertisement!
Look at "events" at www.sorlandet.com for 2005 happenings.
Check the web camera before you go!
www.fedrelandsvennen.no/nyttig/webkamera goves you a choice of cameras in the West Agder county, including several in Kristiansand.
More Reviews (9)
- See All Good camping site outside Kristiansand
- See All Impeccable taxi service
- See All Sørlandspasset - way to save money:
Saagar's Related Pages
Kristiansand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The "capital" of southern Norway"
- "Kristiansand, Norway"
- "Saagar's Kristiansand page"
- "One day in Kristiansand"
- "Kristiansand a kozy little town south of Norway"
- "Few days in Kristiansand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kristiansand
- Hotels in Kristiansand
- Transportation in Kristiansand
- Restaurants in Kristiansand
- Shopping in Kristiansand
- Warnings and Dangers in Kristiansand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lago Fagnano Hotels
- Plattsburgh Hotels
- Mutare Hotels
- Pindasan Hotels
- Palm Harbor
Badges & Stats in Kristiansand
- 12 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Kristiansand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kristiansand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Kristiansand hotel reviews
- Fregatten Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2012
- Centrum Motell
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2012
- Kristiansand Scandic
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 26, 2013
- Radisson SAS Caledonien Hotel Kristiansand
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Rica Hotel Norge
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013