"Saagar's Kristiansand page" Top 5 Page for this destination Kristiansand by Saagar
Kristiansand Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 270 photos
While not the southernmost city in Norway - the prize for this achievement goes to neighbouring Mandal town - Kristiansand is located approximately at the southern tip of Norway and has a definite southern outlook.
The Danish influence in planning and architecture from colonial days, the current transportation links with Denmark, Sweden, UK, all makes this into a city that looks south for inspiration and business rather than north. Kristiansand has an old, central town centre that is very nice, old wooden houses. This "Kvadraturen" centre alone is worth a visit. Many travellers also hit the good restaurants in town or lokk around in the surrounding areas. Lots of Norwegian families come with children to visit the nearby Dyreparken family entertainment park.
Coming from the Continent or UK, or even flying in from afar, Kristiansand is an easy southern entry/exit point. Very few traffic complications here. From Kristiansand you can head straight north into the hills and mountains and access Setesdalsheiene and Hardangervidda mountain plateaus. From here, proceed east to the valleys and mountains and the cities of the Oslo fjord and Oslo basin, or west and visit Hardanger and Bergen.
Or go west from Kristiansand and then curve north along a beautiful stretch of coast to Stavanger. Likewise, you can choose to hang out at Sørlandet ("The Southern Counties") if the weather is nice and sample the very nice stretch of coast between Lista to the west and Risør to the east.
... and still have a field day. It's an easy place to get organised and a fun place to take things as they come.
There are easy communications (planes, trains, buses, car routes), plenty of things to do and see, good and plentyful accommodation, many restuarants and generally something for everyone. That doesn't make the place undistinguished - it has a great identity and is high on self-esteem.
The available info is good and you're in for an easy start.
Check www.sorlandet.com to see what's on offer. Just note that the mentioned hotels and restaurants are members of "Destination Sørlandet" and that there are more than those members around.
Also check the municipality pages: www.kristiansand.kommune.no
- Pros:wonderful summer city
- Cons:grey and a tad boring winter city
The train schedule Kristiansand-Oslo as of 8 January 2005: From Kristiansand 09:10 (arr Oslo 13:56) 14:20 (arr Oslo... more travel advice
Stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed it. It is a fairly big hotel - 12 floors and with good facilites overall. Rooms are... more travel advice
Saagar's Related Pages
Kristiansand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The "capital" of southern Norway"
- "Kristiansand, Norway"
- "Saagar's Kristiansand page"
- "One day in Kristiansand"
- "Kristiansand a kozy little town south of Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kristiansand
- Hotels in Kristiansand
- Transportation in Kristiansand
- Restaurants in Kristiansand
- Shopping in Kristiansand
- Warnings and Dangers in Kristiansand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kristiansand
- 12 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Kristiansand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kristiansand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues