Lillehammer Sports & Outdoors Tips by Saagar Top 5 Page for this destination
Lillehammer Sports & Outdoors: 11 reviews and 9 photos
Skiing at Sjusjøen
www.sjusjoen.com is the web site of the Sjusjoen Ski Association. The web site has weather forecast for the main xc ski areas and the alpine skiing venue at Natrudstilen, groomed track updates and general info about skiing conditions and events. They have three web cams that are very useful for planning purposes.
Hafjell skiing area offers good mountain biking during summers. There are touring tracks, downhill and freeride tracks in all grades of difficulty. A bike lift takes you and your bike from the base of the ski area to the top and deposits you to choose whether you will bike gravel roads and trails in the mountains for a day or more with your family or in a group (commercial pacakge tours available), og skid down the hill again for a thrill and come up again for another try.
Equipment: Bike rentals half day, complete equipment: NOK 450, full day NOK 650.
Lift card 1 day NOK 200, 2 days NOK 300, season: NOK 900.
Groups/companies: half day mountain tours with guide: NOK 375 per person.
Full day tour including access transport and lunch NOK 795 per person.
Half day in Hafjell Bike Park with introduction, instruction and guiding incl all gear and guide NOK 850 per person. Full day ditto NOK 1150.
Address: Hafjell Alpinsenter - Bike park, Øyer
Directions: 13 km north of lillehammer
Other Contact: email@example.com
Sjusjøen Skiing Centre
Written by Saagar on Jan 8, 2006
Tip Rating: [Not enough ratings yet]
Sjusjøen in Ringsaker municipality (logically and transport-wise connected to Lillehammer in the neighbourign Oppland County...) has a brand new downhill skiing and playing area. The vertical drop is 250 metres and is suitable for beginners, children, families and youngsters. Bone fide skiers would search for longer drops and steeper slopes elsewhere. Good for fun, though. Good cafeterie, restaurant options and other service functions. Moreover, the place (on top) has one of the best viewpoints in southern Norway. From the top you can survey an area the size of Belgium.
Address: Sjusjøen, Ringsaker, along road No 216.
Directions: You actually have to go the the neighbouring county of Hedmark, along road No 216 between Mesnali and Sjusjøen. Well signed.
Other Contact: www.lillehammerturist.no
Phone: +47 61289800
Inga-Låmi is a cross-country ski race over 15 or 30 kilometres, for women only. This is the largest women-only ski race in Norway.
Takes place in Lillehammer Saturday 11 March 2006.
There are several classes to fit you in, so this is a race for both the young, old, fit and unfit, ambitious and not so ambitious.
For all details, see web page. Just note the deadline for aplication: 20 September 05 (regular fee) and 11 March 06 for a higher participation fee (penalty before start, even....).
The Inga-Låmi is a cornerstone of the Birkebeiner Ski festival weekend 10-12 March
Equipment: Your own ski gear.
Address: Inga-Låmi, PB 221, 2601 Lillehammer
Directions: Lillehammer town centre, lillehammer Birkebeiner Ski Stadium and the Lillehammer Mountains (east).
Other Contact: fax +47 61275805
Phone: +47 61275815
Not exactly a must-see og -do sports activity per se, but nevertheless, the Haakons Hall ice hockey venue for the Lillehammer '94 Games also houses the Norwegian Olympic Museum. Lots of collections from Norway's Olympic history and events and technology that changed sports in general. Medal collections etc. There is a special section of the Lillehammer '94 Games that runs along the galllery of the hall. You get to see selected films and a look at the ice hockey facility as well. There is a good lunch restaurant near the entrance if some of your party tires easily of this sort of thing...
A souvenir store, also at the entrance continue to sell Lillehammer Olympic memorabilia 10 years after. Outside, there is a coin-operated simulator that takes you on a ski ride down the Kvitfjell Olympic downhill course or the bobsleigh run.
Equipment: Cash for the entrance fee...
Address: Haakons Hall, Nordseter street.
Directions: Walk uphill from the Storgaten/ Mesna bridge square, and after 15 minutes along the Nordseter street you should be at the sports complex. Choose the biggest hall...
Theme: Sports Watching
A ocre-yellow colored, slightly old-fashioned bike seen in Lillehammer is public property! You can use these city bikes for the day provided you pay a small deposit, returned when you put the bike back in the locker system. The tourist office as well as the municipality's service unit in Storgaten will help you.
Hotels and agencies at Nordseter and Sjusjoen (in the hills 15 and 22 kms east of Lillehammer) have rental off-road bikes which you can use on selected trails and the gravel/sand roads criss-crossing the areas between Sjusjoen in the south, Aastdalen valley in the east, the Oeyer mountains to the north and the Lillehammer forests to the west. Consult the tourist office for confirmation and addresses.
For more substantial bike tours, day's or week's or longer, consult the Trollsykling company successfully specializing in low-profile, high adventure, true to culture and nature type bike travels, with and without guides. Highly recommended!
Equipment: City bikes at the tourist office and The Lillehammer Municipality office entrance in Storgaten.
Rentals at Sjusjoen and Nordseter... yes, I'll get the exact run-down on this later.
Trollsykling might equip you from head to toe including the bike.
Address: Lillehammer Tourist Info at the railway station.
Kayaking the Laagen river delta
With a canoe or kayak you can have some great paddling experiences near Lillehammer. Most obviously the Laagen river delta right below town. Don't underestimate this area! It's a strict nature reserve (main focus is on birds and aqautic life), but you can enter by canoe and kayak amongst the islands. Good fishing. Also the northern end of lake Randsfjorden some 70 kilometers away is nice, and the Velmunden/ Fjorda area even nearer Oslo, west of Randsfjorden is a great canoeing area.
Equipment: Maybe the Lillehammer Kayak and Rowing club can help you with a rental? Ask at the tourist office.
At the Velmunden/Fjorda area there is a canoe rental place.
Directions: Lillehammer for the Laagen River.
For Velmunden/ Fjorda you should contact me directly, and I'll find out for you.
Sjusjøen along the Birkebeiner trail
The Birkebeiner ski race runs from Rena (next valley east) to Lillehammer, and it's apparently a big thing. 5000 skiers variously sweat and freeze for a distance of 56 kilometers in March.
A special Inga-Laami ladies' ski race over a 15-kilometers' stretch attract 3000 dressed-up ladies near the main Olympic ski stadium. It gets lively in town that night! I won't tell when this takes place.
The Birkebeiner bike race is the world's largest off-road race (8000 particpants). Takes place in August, and follow nearly the same course as the ski race. Why do they do it all at the same time?
Equipment: Ohh, expert equipment. Don't even dare to venture into this.
Same for the ladies' race!
Address: Lillehammer outdoor stores will know.
Directions: Rena (Osterdalen) to Lillehammer.
Other Contact: Sports goods stores in Lillehamm
Theme: Extreme Sports
More Reviews (71)
- See All The Vehichle Museum - old cars
- See All Night itinerary in Lillehammer city...
- Storgaten - the main street pedestrian...
- See All Very popular among motorists and locals
- See All Blåmann for variety and taste
- See All Designer outerwear, fishing and hunting
- See All By ship to/from Lillehammer
- See All The Mesna River in winter
- Lillehammer was always a tourist trap
- Cold in Lillehammer...
- See All Drunks past midnight in more than one...
- See All The "spark"
Saagar's Related Pages
Lillehammer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saagar's Lillehammer pages"
- "Lillehammer - Home to the 1994 Winter Olympics"
- "Lillehammer - a 5* Olympic town"
- "It was a nice day then..."
- "Splendid Museum Experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lillehammer
- Hotels in Lillehammer
- Transportation in Lillehammer
- Nightlife in Lillehammer
- Restaurants in Lillehammer
- Shopping in Lillehammer
- Warnings and Dangers in Lillehammer
- See All...
Explore the World
- Payson Hotels
- Kinyami Hotels
- Isla Chapera Hotels
- Rotokino Hotels
- Bashkia e Tiranës
- Nepal Sports & Outdoors
- Kandersteg Sports & Outdoors
- Pulau Tioman Sports & Outdoors
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Sports & Outdoors
- Isla de Tenerife Sports & Outdoors
- Swimming Pools
- Bloemfontein Sports & Outdoors
- Taiwan Sports & Outdoors
- Portoroz Sports & Outdoors
- Kas Sports & Outdoors
- Bohol Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Lillehammer
- 79 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Lillehammer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lillehammer
- Posted in Travel Rio de Janeiro Forum "Re: a small/nice hotel or other..."
- Wrote a Review Sjusjøen web camera and ski info in Lillehammer Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sjusjøen web camera and ski info"
- Commented on one of littlesam1's Lillehammer travel pages
- updated a Lillehammer Travel Page "Saagar's Lillehammer pages"
Photos in LillehammerSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
Latest Lillehammer hotel reviews
- Hornsjo Hoyfellshotell
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Birkebeineren Hotel/ Motel & Apartments
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Oppland Hotell
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Radisson SAS Lillehammer
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Rica Victoria Lillehammer
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Clarion Collection Hammer
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- TOP Hotel Molla Lillehammer
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013