"The main Indo-Nepal border X - welcome to Birganj!" Birganj by Saagar
Birganj Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 3 photos
Birganj isn't the most lovely of places, but certainly not the least interesting either. For tourists, Birganj generally means hassles - those linked to a border crossing, shady businesses and trickery. However, you find more of the latter on the Indian side, in Raxaul. Birganj was where I first place entered when I arrived Nepal in 1980. It has grown larger and more industrial, but certainly retains the atmosphere of a border town and place of everything temporary: Birganj for most means transit.
Crossing from India and into Nepal or v.v. here is straight forward. Everything follows the main road: emi/immigration, customs, physically crossing the border and the same routine on the other side. It may seem utterly confusing and you may feel lost in the flow of trucks, ox carts, bikes and what not crossing the border. The buses for Kathmandu and elsewhere in Nepal are lined up close to the border crossing, along the main road. If you need a rest, choose to cross the border and stay on the Nepal side, the atmosphere is better here, and food, too, in fact. There are some decent places to stay. Take a walk around town in the evening, but not too late. Birganj is one of the crime hotspots in Nepal. Do not let this deter you from exploring the city, though; it is rare that tourists are targeted.
Nepal is land-locked, yet it has a port - a "dry port". This is a railway goods terminal just inside the border where... more travel advice
If you take the road east from Birganj centre and try to approximate parallel the Indian border, you end up where the... more travel advice
Saagar's Related Pages
Birganj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The main Indo-Nepal border X - welcome to Birganj!"
- "Birgunj, the second largest city in Nepal!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birganj
- Hotels in Birganj
- Nightlife in Birganj
- Restaurants in Birganj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birganj
- 7 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Birganj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birganj
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 3 reviews, 16777215 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues