"Dolakha and Gaurishankar Conservation Area" Dolakha by Saagar
Dolakha Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 35 photos
My key interest in Dolakha is Gaurishankar Conservation Area, a protected landscape that just has been gazetted, but not yet formally decleared open. 3 village municipalities of Sindhupalchok district, 2 of Ramechhap and 17 of Dolakha district constitute the area of the newborn Gaurishankar Conservation Area. Gaurishankar is a prominent mountain with "camel humps" - Gauri and Shankar respectively - that has now been closed to climbing due to its holiness for both Tibetans on the northern side, the Sherpas and Hindu believers in the south. Gaurishankar gives its Nepali name to the conservation are.
This plugs the hole in the chain of environmentally protected areas from Kanchenjunga to Langtang. No doubt, VT will eventually add Gaurishankar CA as a place name for filing this info, but until that happens I will put my conservation area info on the Dolakha page. This info is focussed on visitors' interest and logistics of visiting. For more scientific knowledge there are other web info sources available. see my tips - eventually!
Landscape is beautiful
Conservation of Himalayan mammals and other animals and trees and plants.
Protection of important Hindu and Buddhist treligious sites
Caretaking of an important trekking route
Bringing alternative livelihoods to an impoverished people without destroying their culture.
2 main trekking routes: Kalinchok and Rolwaling.
Interconnecting trekking routes with Khumbu and Jugal Himal/Langtang
Several short trek options, at all grades
Stay options (Bigu gompa and Beding, Rolwaling)
Offseason trekking possibilities
- Pros:Little visited, varied cultures, landscape.
- Cons:Limited teahouse trekking, few facilities besides the Rolwaling route
Only stayed for a snack and drink and talk with the owner as part of a research trip up the Tamakoshi Valley. Seemed to... more travel advice
Since the opening of Rolwaling valley some years back, the only restricted areas of this region are the close border... more travel advice
Saagar's Related Pages
Dolakha Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Dolakha
- 8 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Dolakha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dolakha
Photos in DolakhaSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues