Mustang Shopping Tips by Saagar
Mustang Shopping: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Mount Kailash Tibetan Shop
Mount Kailash Tibetan Souvenir shop deals in - exactly - Tibetan goods. Some newly-made, some apparently a bit old.
The Lady bought an apron and sitting apron and a belt clip for a chuba here and went through an intricate process to get it made in the colors and patterns she wanted. It was all understood and done according to wishes despite limited shared language and time. Good communicators, those Tibetans!
Tamding Tsedup and Mrs. Tseten Lhamo betweeen them run this shop and the White Tara handicraft shop in Marpha.
What to buy: Tibetan art seems to come out of four main sources: the gomba, the clothing, the neck and the kitchen.
Opposed to the sari/saree, the chuba/ Bhakku looks great on clumsy non-South Asian women: Tibetan, Manangi, Mustangi, Sherpa and Lama ladies walk in great strides, too. And it's useful in colder climes and comes in a variety of colors, patterns and fabrics according to your interest. Best place to buy is probably not Jomsom, but Boudhanath in Kathmandu. But this Jomsom shop has some good accessories to the chuba.
The religious stuff is nice if you have an interest, especially in its deeper meaning. A few good items available at the Mount Kailash shop.
Tibetan jewelry is available all over, the turquoise and coral and zi stones in various combinations available also at Mount Kailash.
Kitchenware and implements were much in evidence and some good quality pieces, too; containers and the like.
What to pay: Tibetan goods are generally quite expensive to start with, and not knowing the quality judgement criteria, it's easy to be somewhat fooled. But as long as you like what you got, never mind, there is no need to regret the price. Do some "market research" beforehand if you are looking for something special. Expect the first offer to be a overpriced by a third, generally, and settle for something between.
Address: Contact: Tibetan Refugee S. Camp, Tserok Gaun, Mar
Directions: Just past Hotel Om's Home and the ACAPp check post, across from the police check post at Jomsom airport area.
Other Contact: Tserok Gaun, P.O. Marpha, Mustan
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (29)
- See All A protective bag for your backpack
- No meat on the plate
- See All Flying to Jomsom: don't get upset...
- See All Fastfood in Kagbeni!?!
Saagar's Related Pages
Mustang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mustang adventure"
- "Mustang, The Forgotten Tibetan Kingdom"
- "River Kali Gandaki"
- "Hiking in Mustang"
- "The last border of the World"
- "Too expensive for a backpacker"
- ""5-Day Trekking from Jomoson to Pokhara""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mustang
- Hotels in Mustang
- Transportation in Mustang
- Restaurants in Mustang
- Shopping in Mustang
- Warnings and Dangers in Mustang
- See All...
Explore the World
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Baclaran Hotels
- Sheepshead Bay Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- Coron Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Broad Ripple Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
- Addis Ababa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mustang
- 30 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Mustang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mustang
Photos in MustangSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues