"Chitwan - Nepal's premier jungle area" Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Chitwan by Saagar
Royal Chitwan Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 431 photos
"Jangal" means dense forest or undergrowth. The British who pushed the retreating Gorkha armies back to approximately Nepal's current borders by 1814 picked up this word and corrupted it. Hence, "jungle", is the name of the original forest along the banks of the Rapti River.
Chitwan is the largest of the remaining areas of lowland jungle in Nepal, and has a high density of flora and fauna. Even if you are not particularily interested in the ecological aspects of a visit to Chitwan, you could come for the thrill of watching rhinos from the elephant back or just simply seeing how different life is here in lowlands Nepal.
For the bona-fide tourist there are four main areas of the park which you can choose from. There are resorts and lodges in the far western part, near Kasaurah, Sauraha and further east along the Rapti river (Machan resort area). Budget travellers will most likely visit lodges in Sauraha. Upmarket tourists will choose the central areas out of Kasauraha with Tiger Tops resort as the main resort, and the oldest one, too. Middle - to high spenders will choose camps and resorts in the west and east. The areas have a slightly different emphasis (more or less of this or that animal and biotope etc.), but the total picture of Chitwan will be a good and impressive one whichever place you choose. In this sense, Chitwan is democratic...
You may have come here for the forest, animals and sounds of calling jungle birds, but just as interesting is the ethnic mix and the populations who live near the park. It is also interesting to get to know how they cope with all the intruding animals from the park and generally their socio-economic situation. The latter is rather tragic. But go and see for yourself. I hope my travel tips may assist you in addition to much literature and VT tips available for Chitwan. Raamro sanga jaanos, Chitwan maa!
- Pros:Fantastic wildlife and scenery
- Cons:Overpriced top-end resorts, unneccesary mediocrity at the lower end
- In a nutshell:A wonderful national park, that could be made even more attractive and better protected.
I find it very useful to keep critters and dust and people out of my backpack by putting my entire backpack into a... more travel advice
Day pack with room for camera, guide book, binocs. Hip pack for little thingies, pen light and valuables that come handy... more travel advice
- See All Easy access - great upmarket place at...
- Elephant polo world championship
- Tharu culture
- Sauraha and Chitwan
- See All Tharu Cultural Center
Saagar's Related Pages
Royal Chitwan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chitwan - Nepal's premier jungle area"
- "A nice and peaceful place"
- "Royal Chitwan National Park"
- "Chitwan National Park."
- "Into the Jungle"
- "What I Have Seen in Chitwan National Park"
- "My first jungle experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Royal Chitwan
- Hotels in Royal Chitwan
- Transportation in Royal Chitwan
- Nightlife in Royal Chitwan
- Restaurants in Royal Chitwan
- Shopping in Royal Chitwan
- Warnings and Dangers in Royal Chitwan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Royal Chitwan
- 38 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Royal Chitwan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Royal Chitwan
Photos in Royal ChitwanSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 141 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 162 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Asker Intro, 161 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 108 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 84 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Simikot Intro, 67 reviews, 122 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh Intro, 78 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pokhara Intro, 75 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seychelles Intro, 70 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 3 travelogues