"Chios" Chios by cine_cine

Chios Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 155 photos

Chios is beautiful... quiet... nice weather... cheap accomodation... just great :)

To get to Chios we took a ferry from Piraeus which supposedly took 8 hours to get to the island but I'm sure it was actually 10... we slept on the deck - it was incredibly windy and also quite rough at times... I don't think I've ever had such an odd night's sleep!! (or lack of sleep...) we should have been like the clever people who got themselves a place inside as soon as we left Piraeus...

We arrived in Chios Town at about 5am and then had to wait a couple of hours before getting a bus to Karfas. Drinking coffee in one of the cafes along the sea front is a good way to pass the time we found :)

We stayed in a little villa by the sea in Karfas... I'd reccomend it, but I don't know what it was called - the owners were two old ladies who only spoke Greek, and none of us spoke any Greek. But I think there are quite a lot of places to stay in Karfas... we found this place by just asking a man on the street.

There are lots of interesting places to visit in Chios, and the best way to get around is by scooter/moto, you can hire them for about 10 euros a day. Pyrgi is a town I'd reccomend visiting, as well as the beaches (we found some especially beautiful ones on the west side of the island).

We left Chios by getting the ferry to Cesme, Turkey... that took less than an hour and didn't involve any sleeping on deck - much nicer! :)

• Pros:quiet, beautiful scenery, nice beaches
  • Cons:can't really think of any, except maybe the ferry trip there, but that was kind of fun...
  • In a nutshell:just great!
  • Last visit to Chios: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2006

Comments

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Chios