"Kangaroo Island - A South Australian Experience" Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island by Diceman_

Kangaroo Island Travel Guide: 243 reviews and 674 photos

I visited relatives here in 1990 around Easter when I was ten, with my older brother and grandparents. It was cold and overcast, and we only went on one excursion to a rocky seaside cave in cold rainy weather (I identified it 15 years later as probably Cape Linois).

Despite contact being rare, I was able to mind a relative's house for a couple of weeks in early 2005. My aim was to see everything there was to see on Kangaroo Island, as I might never be there again or be able to spend as long.

I took my high-km Toyota MR2 over there, and after seeing a photo of a car that had hit a kangaroo I vowed that that would not happen to me. Due to bad luck and lack of vigilance a kangaroo materialised out of the darkness about 20 metres in front of me just after I had overtaken a truck at 100km/h with my low-beams still on. (in slow motion) I moved to the other side of the road but the kangaroo started moving and closed the gap, hitting the side of my car. Damn.

I also blew a tyre and drew (the wrong kind of) attention when parked next to a row of 4WD's and stationwagons, especially after the damage to the front. Because of the blown tyre on my last excursion I didn't get to see everything, but I got to pass through all the regions of the island at least.

There were so many things to see on Kangaroo Island it surprised me, perhaps an island puts everything under a magnifying glass. I was amazed how much variety and spectacular stuff was in such a relatively small geographical area. I often wondered what the place would be like if it were part of Fleurieu peninsula, I think it would still be interesting but not as much. The bugs are different, it's isolated and wouldn't have anywhere near as much uncleared areas if it were just another part of the general region. Everything arrives via a boat or small aircraft.

Kangaroo Island is a place to go where the plants and wildlife has been left alone (I salute whoever it was who campaigned to have Flinders Chase National Park established in 1912), where there aren't commercial jets flying overhead every 5 minutes or cars rumbling past on nearby roads. In the 21st century areas like the ones on Kangaroo Island are increasingly rare, and if you've ever wondered why Kangaroo island is popular, it's because of these undeveloped places. A good deal of the Island is taken up by farms and looks the same as anywhere else in the region, and there are the usual tourist attraction type places, but what stuck in my mind at least were places that were the same as they were 200 or even 2000 years ago.

• Pros:Peaceful, larger than life wilderness areas, unique wildlife, not overcrowded with tourists
  • Cons:Expensive petrol, bitumen roads the exception rather than the rule, wildlife on the roads at night
  • In a nutshell:Don't pass up an opportunity to see it.
  • Last visit to Kangaroo Island: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated May 12, 2007

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Hello Steve. I really enjoyed reading your tips, and added a few orange stars for you :-) Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• Kojidaiyo's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2005 at 10:30 PM

I voted on your tips. You've done very well. I enjoyed reading them.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 5:23 AM

The roads here are very dangerous at night that is why you see so much road kill along that highway. I hope you are adding more tips.

Badges & Stats in Kangaroo Island

Have you been to Kangaroo Island?

Latest Activity in Kangaroo Island