"Dakar... not what you would think!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar by africateach

Dakar Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 255 photos

Beautiful sky

As I am looking out from the patio of the conference, I actually make myself turn off all the sound, people and just concentrate on how I am in Dakar, Senegal!!! The skyline looked like something that came out of a van gogh painting with birds that seem regal. The breeze coming from the sea cools things down softly as you are actually able to breathe. This time of day is one of the best. The air is cleaner, the smells are more vibrant and the sky looks like it was painted for you! Just so you would never forget it.

Sorry... cannot remember what this is. Took the pic from inside a bus on the way to a conference.

• Pros:Goree Island and food
  • Cons:People and traffic
  • In a nutshell:Visit but don't live!!!
  • Last visit to Dakar: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2005

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I will be in Dakar for about 3-4 hours each way on 7 and 22 July. Is that time enough to do anything outside the apt? If so, what? What do you teach and where?

• patolucas's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 8:06 AM

Unless I was really unlucky, this place was so crap,they had no food at all,they only had enough eggs for two of us(out of four), it was expensive,we paid 12000 CFA(aprox 18€) for two omelettes,couple of coffees and that was it. I do not recommend at all.

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2005 at 2:17 AM

Very helpful tips! I just wonder about places to visit in Dakar and around, are there any flights to Cape Verde, and what about safety and diseases, weird insects and animals and all that stuff? I'm going to be there for work in January for 3 weeks...

• May 27, 2005 at 3:00 AM

I have to admit that Daka is NOT my favourite city! Come to Bamako - you'll feel at home here!!! Well done for the pages, enjoyed reading them.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 6:34 PM

i enjoyed reading ur warning tips. so u practiced for all that in south chicago eh? :-) but u need to tell us more about some places to visit.

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 9:35 AM

wowww not so good street and hotel experience! Hope the rest made it up! The description of the food sounded delicious!

africateach

“Well, that was fun! What's next!!!”

Badges & Stats in Dakar