"Living the dream!!!" africateach's Profile

When I came back to the US, I thought my big travel days were over. No more running around the world foot loose and fancy free... WRONG!!! My wife and I are of the same mind and agree that this is just too big of a world to stick around in one place! We decided to keep the travel bug alive by planning our wedding on the ocean!!! Getting married on a cruise to the Caribbean was the best idea! We had friends and family, fun and sun and plenty of time away from it all!
We bought a house and started planning for the future. She said "Baby?!"" I said... uuummm, how about Mexico?!" It is true that communication is key to a healthy relationship because we were Mexico bound :)
We agreed that all of the important things will work themselves out, but visiting different places and being a part of the culture, ok that and shopping, are what we need to truly thrive... ok, that was her addition to this page!!!

Football baby!!!

Get your jersey on, strap on the food bag and down some brews becasue it is time for the monsters of the midway to come on through!!!

Hello to all! I am originally from Chicago, Illinois, USA. I have been a teacher for awhile, but as of August 2003... I became an International Teacher!

I was actually pushed into doing this! I was a home body and had some idea of the world, but not really... even for a teacher!

The push was a few years ago and just kept going!!! I found that my profession would even allow me to do so while GETTING PAID!!!

I have honestly been going back and forth with my adventures! Sometimes I am very happy to be in this type of circuit, but then again, leaving the truck, dog and mom in the states has been something of a struggle. Internationally, I have become more aware of the differences between people! It was always a concern of mine to try to see people for who they are. When you are thrust into another's culture, there are many things that I have learned to do:
1: Remember I am NOT in charge!!!
2: Remember I am NOT in charge!!!
3: Remember I am NOT in charge!!!
Hey... I am a teacher, so control is a bit of an issue! Don't worry, travel is helping me... BABY STEPS!!!

In this picture, I took 9 students from Conarky, Guinea to Switzerland on a ski trip! The picture is not the best, but it has meaning. The best part... some had never seen snow before!!! I will always be the one that they will remember when they think of first experiences in life. That is pretty rare, even for an educator!!!

• Intro Updated Sep 24, 2011

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• hannette's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Have a blessed one!

• juliogg's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM

What a great page. "I make a difference" You bet yah ! Very glad to virtualy meet you. juliogg

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2010 at 5:18 AM

Hi Shawn - wishing you a very happy birthday! Love your wedding photo! And thanks for making a difference!!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Didn't realize you are from Seattle! What about joining forces for VT meet next summer?

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Wonderful thoughts on teaching. The educational school at my university had a T-shirt for the future teachers: "I touch the future. I teach."

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Nothing like the real thing and knowing that you are getting the real thing, The Vallarta Cigar Factory makes their own and has the real Cuban bands. See their website: vallartacigarfactory.com/eng...

• ciaobellamici's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Very Nice Home Page. Congratulations on living with passion and purpose. Thank you for sharing it so well with others here. A teacher since 1980, Margaret

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Happy birthday Shawn! Greetings from Italy, Michele

• magdalena2007's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2007 at 6:12 AM

What you do is so beautiful! Your thoughts about teaching are amazing..

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
africateach's Profile Photo

africateach

“Well, that was fun! What's next!!!”

Real Name