"Rudolph and Friends" Nara by Hewer
Nara Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 966 photos
Nara is an ancient city about 45 minutes by train from Osaka.
Officially, the city has a population of 370,000, but in reality, Nara forms the eastern limit of the Greater Osaka metropolis. One thing Nara doesn`t have (thankfully) is endless blocks of medium rise residential buildings and on the horizon, you can see mountains, not more buildings.
I have been there four times on day trips over the past three years. It`s a very green city and the perfect escape from the urban assault that is Osaka.
Oh, and there are deer everywhere too. Not all of them are as innocent as Bambi here and some will chase you for your food!
Nara has some impressive old Japanese architecture, including the world`s largest wooden structure and Japan`s tallest three-tiered pagoda.
There are plenty of wide open courtyards, ponds, trails, gardens and other features that make it possible to imagine the scene here in former times.
- Pros:It`s all about the Green!
- Cons:Local transport network....
- In a nutshell:Dear, Deer Temples!
Hewer's Related Pages
Nara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of Japan's ancient capitals"
- "Rich Culture in the Countryside"
- "Nara - A historical City."
- "Deer Nara"
- "Nara - Ancient Japanese City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nara
- Hotels in Nara
- Transportation in Nara
- Restaurants in Nara
- Shopping in Nara
- Warnings and Dangers in Nara
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nara
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Nara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nara
Top 10 Pages
- Ban Bang Saen (2) Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osaka Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barbados Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vientiane Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos