Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Things to Do Tips by Hewer Top 5 Page for this destination
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Things to Do: 239 reviews and 525 photos
Ayers Rock, 30 minutes before sunset
Viewing the sunset at Ayers Rock is the most popular activity for visitors to the region.
There are two viewing areas, one for cars and small vans and one for buses. The viewing area for cars is a little closer.
Most people arrive about thirty minutes prior to sunset. Try to arrive early so that you can get a good vantage point.
Finally, don`t be disappointed if there is no dazzling change of colours. I lived at Ayers Rock for three years and I only saw about ten or so `postcard` sunsets. I took this photograph in September, 1997 with a disposable camera. I wish I'd had decent equipment!
The first fine day after some rainfall usually has a good sunset. Enjoy!
The Olgas at Sunset
The Olgas, known as Kata Tjuta to the traditional owners of the park, are located about 45 kilometers west of Uluru.
Sunset at the Olgas is definitely worthwhile if you are spending more than one night in the area (sadly, a one night stay is common). There are less people around so it is more low-key than sunset at Ayers Rock, which often involves more than one thousand people in two small areas.
The Olgas are less famous than their monolithic counterpart but certainly exude their own charm and the sunset there is spectacular.
Directions: Only a small number of guided tours include a sunset at the Olgas. Most tours include an afternoon tour there and then head to Uluru. You can hire a car or try one of the links below.
Other Contact: www.uluruexpress.com.au
At the top, with Kata Tjuta in the background
This could almost qualify as `Must Not See` activity. The traditional owners of the National Park, the Anangu, ask visitors not to climb Uluru.
The decision of whether or not to climb is entirely up to you. There are plenty of great activities in the National Park that do not involve climbing, among them walking around Uluru and walking through the Valley of the Kings at Kata Tjuta.
Having said that, I climbed Ayers Rock four times (once for each year I lived there) - 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000.
Directions: Make sure you climb at the designated place! There is one way up and down. There is a chain, as well as painted white lines on top of the monolith to guide you.
The climb takes about 90 minutes return.
More Reviews (17)
Hewer's Related Pages
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "G'Day from the Red Centre"
- "IMPREXXION: YULARA-ULURU"
- "Living at `The Rock`"
- "The Red and Hot Centre"
- "Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Watarrka NP"
- "Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park"
- "Uluru National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Hotels in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Transportation in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Nightlife in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Restaurants in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Shopping in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Warnings and Dangers in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- See All...
Explore the World
- Alta Lake Hotels
- Key West National Wildlife Refuge
- Bluff Hotels
- Siniloan Hotels
- Polignano a Mare
- College Station
- Sulphur Hotels
Badges & Stats in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
Photos in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)See All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Ban Bang Saen (2) Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osaka Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barbados Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Vientiane Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) hotel reviews
- Sails in the Desert Ayers Rock Resort
- 612 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Desert Gardens Hotel
- 576 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Outback Pioneer Hotel
- 460 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Ayers Rock Campground
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- The Lost Camel Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions