"Bridgetown" Top 5 Page for this destination Bridgetown by Hewer
Bridgetown Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 186 photos
I stayed in Barbados for a week in May 2005 and travelled into Bridgetown a couple of times. It's an easy city to navigate and there is plenty to like about it. There is some good shopping, the locals are friendly enough and there is plenty to see and do.
Bridgetown isn't a huge city, having a population of 100,000 out of 275,000 for the whole country. Originally the city got its name from the number of bridges that were built there in clonial times. I must have been doing something wrong because I only counted two(?). Anyway there are a lot of historical buildings and monuments in the city and a sense of th past is certainly there.
Watch out for sunburn though - there isn't a great deal of shade in the center of town. In my case I eventually just darted from shop to shop to escape ;-)
Bridgetown is a neat contrast to the glitzy beachside luxuries found elsewhere in the country. Not that it's dingy or anything like that - it's just that in many of the coastal areas the touristy feeling looms large and it's good to get away from that. For some anyway.
I got a chance to watch some international cricket there too - the first day of a test match between West Indies and Pakistan. You can read more about that in my cricket travelogue on my Barbados page.
- Pros:Chilled, safe, good food
- Cons:Hot Hot Hot
- In a nutshell:Dreadlock holiday....
Not necessarily something you'd go out of your way to find, but an interesting thing to stumble across: Here marks the... more travel advice
As you enter the city past Constitution River from the bus terminus, there are several stalls and shacks set up selling... more travel advice
Hewer's Related Pages
Bridgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of Barbados"
- "Bridgetown - Capital of vibrant Barbados"
- "Next time, I'll hit the beach..."
- "The Capital"
- "The City"
- "The Boatyard beckons in Bridgetown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bridgetown
- Hotels in Bridgetown
- Transportation in Bridgetown
- Nightlife in Bridgetown
- Restaurants in Bridgetown
- Shopping in Bridgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Bridgetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bridgetown
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Bridgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bridgetown
Photos in BridgetownSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Ban Bang Saen (2) Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osaka Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barbados Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Vientiane Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos