Amarapura Things to Do Tips by Hewer Top 5 Page for this destination
Amarapura Things to Do: 22 reviews and 49 photos
U Bein Bridge, Myanmar
The U Bein Bridge is THE sight in Amarapura. There are plenty of other interesting things to see but the bridge is certainly the main drawcard.
If you get there by taxi, you can walk across and back - just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. There are some memorable views of the countryside and some neat things to see and do at the village and pagoda on the other side.
The bridge is 1.2km long and was made with 984 teak pillars. It is the longest teak bridge in the world.
Mahaganayon Teaching Monastery, Amarapura, Myanmar
This is situated next to U Bein bridge. Many of the young monks in Amarapura study here and there is a large image of the Buddha inside. With all the excitement of the bridge, noone seems to go in here, so you'll more than likely have it to yourself. If anything else, it's a good meeting place if you are doing the walk and traveling in a group. It can get quite chaotic with all the taxis, vendors and rickshaws by the end of the bridge ;-)
Directions: It's right at the western end of U Bein bridge. This is where most visitors start to walk across from.
Amarapura, outskirts of Mandalay
Taungthaman Lake at Amarapura is straddled by the famous U Bein Bridge. The bridge itself is usually the main attraction to draw visitors to the area but if you don't want to walk the 1.2km to the other side of the bridge, you can get a canoe ride for $2.
The journey takes about 30 minutes.
Directions: The boatmen will probably find you before you find them, if you know what I mean. When you arrive at the U Bein bridge, just head to the water's edge. You can also get a canoe on the way back instead.
More Reviews (10)
- The Hot, Hot Sun
- See All Taking the Bus
- See All Bo Bo Gyi Nat Festival
Hewer's Related Pages
Amarapura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amarapura - Home of U Beins Bridge"
- "It's really a suburb now."
- "AMARAPURA MYANMAR"
- "The Bridge and Unexpected Lessons"
- "THE CITY OF IMMORTALS..."
- "Old City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amarapura
- Hotels in Amarapura
- Transportation in Amarapura
- Restaurants in Amarapura
- Shopping in Amarapura
- Warnings and Dangers in Amarapura
- See All...
Explore the World
- Singer Island Hotels
- Rueil-Malmaison Hotels
- Tuolumne Hotels
- Fourth Lake Hotels
Badges & Stats in Amarapura
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Amarapura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amarapura
Photos in AmarapuraSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Ban Bang Saen (2) Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osaka Intro, 27 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barbados Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vientiane Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Singapore Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos