"Medieval mixed with Modern" Top 5 Page for this destination Esslingen by antistar
Esslingen Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 239 photos
Despite the chocolate box views of its major medieval attractions, and its long independent history, Esslingen now is a somewhat run down industrial suburb of Stuttgart. I had imagined Esslingen to be something like the other medieval towns that I had visited, such as Brugges or Warwick, so when the shabby station exited onto a concrete car park and sad shopping strip, I was quite surprised. The place is well inclined to tourists, however, and so there were plenty of signs to direct me to its far more presentable medieval heart.
Esslingen sits on the Neckar and has much of the medieval beauty that Stuttgart lost during the heavy bombing of World War 2. The particular highlights for me were the Stadtkirche St Dionys, with its two towers connected by an improbable covered bridge, and the 13th century Burg high up above the city offering views of the beautiful town centre, and the Schwabian Jura and valleys within which Esslingen sits. The town itself is quite pleasant to walk through, especially on a Sunday morning, when the bells of the churches peel through the empty streets of tight, narrow cobble stones.
It's not as glorious as medieval wonders like Tubingen, a further 40 minutes down the same train line. But if you are in Stuttgart and want to see some easily accessible German history, then it's only a quick ride on the S-Bahn away.
I know I am purile, but I always get a kick out of the way so many German signs are like this. more travel advice
Not to be confused with the more interesting Dicker Turm, this is a reminder of Esslingen's more modern industrial... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Esslingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval mixed with Modern"
- "Esslingen a hidden and unknown but beautiful town"
- "Sunny Esslingen"
- "Esslingen am Neckar"
- "Esslingen to go!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Esslingen
- Hotels in Esslingen
- Transportation in Esslingen
- Restaurants in Esslingen
- Warnings and Dangers in Esslingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Esslingen
- 19 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Esslingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Esslingen
Photos in EsslingenSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos