"A Tale of Two Villages" Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen by antistar

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 1,037 photos

For two weeks before I arrived the weather report had been predicting rain, clouds and low temperatures. It was looking so bad I almost cancelled the trip and stayed at home. Then as the long holiday weekend approached the little weather boxes came up suns like the wheels of a fruit machine - ching... ching... ching... ching... jackpot! Every day turned out hot and sunny, with not a spot of rain. Like the weather Garmisch itself turned out to be the perfect holiday destination, with stunning scenery, plenty to do and friendly locals.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen (GAP) is actually a town made up of two villages that joined together for the Winter Olympics of 1936. From a map it\s hard to tell them apart, but the two old villages are neatly divided by the Partnach river, with each one having its own clear identity. Garmisch is the dominant member of the partnership, which isn't helped by the fact that the town is often referred to simply as Garmisch, with its neighbour dropped for sake of convenience. Garmisch attracts all the expensive shops and tourist crowds, but Partenkirchen has plenty of attractions. Not least of which are its colorful and decorative Bavarian houses, best exemplified by its Town Hall.

The town's location surrounded on all sides by the mountains of the Alps makes for unforgettable views. On clear sunny days it is a joy for amateur photographers, making every other shot a great one. Just walking the streets is a pleasure in itself, but there is an abundance of natural wonders in the countryside around. I was worried that not being a hiker or a skier would mean that I would be stuck for things to do in GAP, but instead I barely managed to squeeze in the things I most wanted to do. The highlights of the holiday for me were the trips up the mountains of Wank and Zugspitze, but most of all the incredible Partnach Gorge.

Things I Loved

The trips up the Wank and Zugspitze, the Partnach Gorge, the incredible views of the mountains that encircle the town, and the beautiful meadows filled with rickety shacks and yellow flowers.

Disappointments

The museums aren't very interesting. Just spend your time in the wonderful countryside.

• Last visit to Garmisch-Partenkirchen: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Excellent page, one I have enjoyed very much! Good luck with the weather made all the difference, now you have a lot of nice photo's! I would like to return here, and do a lot of what you did.

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 8:16 AM

Oh my gosh, dolls like that used to creep me out as a kid too!!! Lol! I also hate clowns... I was looking for ski info, but nice page anyway:) I went there once a long time ago

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2006 at 3:11 PM

Great page! Garmisch-Partemkirchen looks like a very nice place...

• Dec 31, 2005 at 2:10 PM

These huts are used to store and dry out hay.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2005 at 9:07 AM

I think that horse better keep its legs crossed.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 6:28 AM

Great reasons to include GAP on the tourist agenda when visiting Germany or the Alpine regions.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2005 at 10:09 PM

It's great to see snow in summer. Photos of Partnach Gorge are wonderful

• Keelo's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2005 at 2:45 PM

If you would have gone to the Fussen area, you could have visited the town of Wank. I laugh everytime I see the sign. Good pics and text.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2005 at 2:31 PM

A fine new page with brilliant photos, most of which I clicked on. Very well written, too! And I like your descriptions in the Scary Monster travelogue.

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Have you been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen?

Latest Activity in Garmisch-Partenkirchen