"A Tale of Two Villages" Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen by antistar
Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Guide: 309 reviews and 1,055 photos
For two weeks before I arrived the weather report had been predicting rain, clouds and low temperatures. It was looking so bad I almost cancelled the trip and stayed at home. Then as the long holiday weekend approached the little weather boxes came up suns like the wheels of a fruit machine - ching... ching... ching... ching... jackpot! Every day turned out hot and sunny, with not a spot of rain. Like the weather Garmisch itself turned out to be the perfect holiday destination, with stunning scenery, plenty to do and friendly locals.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen (GAP) is actually a town made up of two villages that joined together for the Winter Olympics of 1936. From a map it\s hard to tell them apart, but the two old villages are neatly divided by the Partnach river, with each one having its own clear identity. Garmisch is the dominant member of the partnership, which isn't helped by the fact that the town is often referred to simply as Garmisch, with its neighbour dropped for sake of convenience. Garmisch attracts all the expensive shops and tourist crowds, but Partenkirchen has plenty of attractions. Not least of which are its colorful and decorative Bavarian houses, best exemplified by its Town Hall.
The town's location surrounded on all sides by the mountains of the Alps makes for unforgettable views. On clear sunny days it is a joy for amateur photographers, making every other shot a great one. Just walking the streets is a pleasure in itself, but there is an abundance of natural wonders in the countryside around. I was worried that not being a hiker or a skier would mean that I would be stuck for things to do in GAP, but instead I barely managed to squeeze in the things I most wanted to do. The highlights of the holiday for me were the trips up the mountains of Wank and Zugspitze, but most of all the incredible Partnach Gorge.
Things I Loved
The trips up the Wank and Zugspitze, the Partnach Gorge, the incredible views of the mountains that encircle the town, and the beautiful meadows filled with rickety shacks and yellow flowers.
The museums aren't very interesting. Just spend your time in the wonderful countryside.
All over the countryside around Garmisch-Partenkirchen are these wooden huts. I can't see what the need for them is, but... more travel advice
The town is surrounded by fields of lush long soft green grass, mixed with the whites of dandelions in bloom, the... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Garmisch Partenkirchen"
- "Welcome to my Ga-P page!"
- "A Tale of Two Villages"
- "Garmish-Partenkirchen and the Zugspitze"
- "A Winter Visit to Garmisch-Partenkirchen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Hotels in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Transportation in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Nightlife in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Restaurants in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Shopping in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Warnings and Dangers in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- 22 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Train between London &..."
- updated a Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Page "A Tale of Two Villages"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alpine Meadows"
- Wrote a Review Ramshackle Huts in Garmisch-Partenkirchen Favorites
- Commented on one of MrBill's Garmisch-Partenkirchen travel pages
Photos in Garmisch-PartenkirchenSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 166 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos