"Hamburg" Hamburg by antistar
Hamburg Travel Guide: 1,531 reviews and 3,638 photos
I was walking along the Elbe away from Landungsbrucken when I first noticed it. I turned around and saw the city stretch and curve along the banks of the river, the wide water washing far across to the grey, ephemeral, mist obscured docks. It looked like a city by the sea, but there was no sea to be seen. It looked magical.
Hamburg isn't like other German cities. It's not like other cities in Europe. It feels cold and industrial like Liverpool, but it is cut through with graceful canals like Venice. The buildings are industrial, post-modern even in the expensively new HafenCity, but they frame beautifully against the waters in the channel, and the wide expanses of water in the city centre give outstanding and unobstructed views of many of Hamburg's best sights.
Hamburg is one of the world's busiest harbours, it has cruise liners, ferries and gigantic ULVC container ships, but it's many miles from the sea. It is a huge city, the second biggest in Germany, and the seventh biggest in Europe. It has a vast public transport system, but it hasn't got a single tram. The city was firebombed into oblivion during the war, and yet its city centre is full of beautiful old buildings.
I fell in love with the city. Not immediately. It took a while for me to realise its charms. The weather didn't help - it's routinely awful up this edge of the North Sea. Arriving at the grim train station didn't impress me. A walk around the Alster made me think. Looking across the fountain at the skyline over the Binnenalster had me snapping endlessly with my camera. A walk along the canals in the centre delighted me. The walk from the Landungsbrucken sold me. But the boat ride through the warehouse district of Speicherstadt had me in wonder.
With so much water you can't leave Hamburg without taking a trip out on a boat. You can get a good idea of the waterways... more travel advice
Hamburg is an ancient port and this has been the secret of its success. The deep, wide waters of the Elbe have allowed... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Hamburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hamburg - a lot of great memories"
- "Port Hamburg Welcomes You!"
- "The Forgotten Hamburg"
- "FIFA came & went! But There's Still Lots To..."
- "Welcome to Hamburg"
- "In the footsteps of . . . Schnabelewopski?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hamburg
- Hotels in Hamburg
- Transportation in Hamburg
- Nightlife in Hamburg
- Restaurants in Hamburg
- Shopping in Hamburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Hamburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hamburg
- 20 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Hamburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamburg
Photos in HamburgSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 172 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 108 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 59 reviews, 147 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Intro, 53 reviews, 124 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 123 photos, 1 travelogue