"Santa Monica" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica by antistar

Santa Monica Travel Guide: 457 reviews and 1,055 photos

We stayed in Santa Monica in lieu of Los Angeles. Firstly because it's nicer, and secondly because that's where our recording studio was. It's officially outside of Los Angeles, but exists as a part of an enormous unrelenting suburban area that stretches from the Pacific to the horizon, even when you are several thousand meters above ground.

It's a very affluent area. Chic bars, exclusive restaurants, and shiny sports cars everywhere. It's a little expensive too. Despite all the money, the place is still pretty relaxed, and manages to attract a large population of homeless people. In fact, that's probably the memory of Santa Monica I will remember most strongly: the most striking juxtaposition of rich and poor I've ever seen.

Santa Monica isn't the greatest place in the world, but it has a pleasant beach, quality restaurants, a relaxed atmosphere, good shopping, and is not too far from LAX or Los Angeles itself. It makes a good alternative to other places in the city.

• Last visit to Santa Monica: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2014

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Interesting observations - SM has always been a haven for the homeless - Venice Beach will always be a culture shock. I do miss good Mexican food!

• Jun 1, 2009 at 10:02 AM

advertised as Ocean View ,you leaned on window you could see the ocean. partial ocean view. 3 calls before a tooth brush (about 1 hour). The walls not insulated . We almost checked out at 2:00 AM too noisey.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 2:56 AM

I really enjoyed the very short visit to Santa Monica we managed to fit into our trip to LA - I hope to return some day. Gillybob greetings

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 3:20 PM

An enjoyable and well-written page on an Englishman's insights into the California 'scene' - quite funny too! Nice to see how the rich and famous live. I wasn't so reticent, having dipped my feet in Frisco in '79 while enroute to Papua New Guinea!

• Apr 26, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Wow! The Huntley sounds swish! Can't believe you didn't even go for a paddle in the Pacific though Tim!!! :))

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Santa Monica

Have you been to Santa Monica?

Latest Activity in Santa Monica