"Boiling Point: 100F in Szobotka" Top 5 Page for this destination Subotica by antistar
Subotica Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 158 photos
It had been a stinking hot week in Hungary, and it was to get even hotter across the border in Serbia, but there can be few places better to wind down with a cool beer than the streets of Subotica. The town has a pleasant relaxed affluence to it, quite at odds to the cities I'd seen in the south of the country. It had all the metropolitan life you could want (at least for just one night), all squeezed into a manageably small center, and without all the traffic and smog of Belgrade.
The buildings are also a world away from the socialist grey blocks of the south. Here art nouveau seeps out of the city's pores, and a flood of Zsolnay tiling colours many of the roofs. The centerpiece is the enormous town hall, again something bigger and more spectacular than you'd expect to find in provincial northern Serbia.
I'd didn't have enough time to properly visit Subotica. I was there for many hours, but I spent most of that time with some great local company, drinking lots of local wine and beer. I managed to meet the whole gamut of locals in this crazy, mixed up town. Tom, the half-Jewish Serb. Goran, the giant Bosnian-Serb biker and big game hunter. And Zoltan, the Hungarian party animal.
This is a town for people from all over Serbia. It's a town dominated by Hungarians, but with more Slavic speakers than anything else. The range of viewpoints is great: pro-European, anti-European, pro-Serbia, pro-Vojvodina, pro-Hungarian, etc. But despite this they all seem to get along, mostly, and never a raised voice despite of all the differences.
Photo Album on Facebook (better quality).
Just 8km outside of Subotica, and pretty much a suburb of the city these days, is the small town and lakeside resort of... more travel advice
Don't be put off by the vast clouds of smoke which obscure the kitchen staff and billows out from the cooking plates -... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Subotica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The most colourful town in Serbia"
- "Boiling Point: 100F in Szobotka"
- "Lepotica na zrnu peska"
- "Szabadka (Subotica in Hungarian)"
- "Subotica and Palic lake"
- "On the way to Hungary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Subotica
- Hotels in Subotica
- Transportation in Subotica
- Nightlife in Subotica
- Restaurants in Subotica
- Warnings and Dangers in Subotica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Subotica
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Subotica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Subotica
Photos in SuboticaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos
Latest Subotica hotel reviews
- Hotel Prezident Cacak
- 1 Review & Opinion