"Kronberg" Kronberg by antistar
Kronberg Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 75 photos
A fortress city untouched by war and progress. It's a tough little place, Kronberg. You wouldn't want to tangle with it. Frankfurt made that mistake once, lost the battle and was left to pay off a humiliating ransom for all the hundreds of prisoners the Knights of Kronberg captured. Helped by its location on the Taunus mountains and a rugged and determined defence, the town has been largely left unharmed by history. Even the bombs of World War 2 didn't fall here.
That makes Kronberg something quite special in this part of Germany. Whereas most towns and cities have been either bombed by the allies or razed by Napoleonic forces, Kronberg retains a beautiful and impressively preserved castle, casting its protective shadow over a compact town centre lined with row after row of half-timbered houses within the still standing medieval city walls.
The climate here is also pleasant, with the cool, dry mountain air blowing down over the town during summer. This, along with the peace and historic beauty of the town, has attracted many of the wealthiest of Frankfurt's banking class over the years. The town has a marked affluent atmosphere, a little snobbish maybe, but friendly and relaxed. Hardly anyone raises their voice around here.
The Altstadt makes up only a small part of the entire town of Kronberg, and while beautiful it's not entirely practical.... more travel advice
Many towns and cities these days try to affect that old world look with 19th century era gas streetlamps, but Kronberg... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Kronberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kronberg - Koenigstein - Opel Zoo"
- "Beautiful oasis"
- "Opel Zooooooooooooooooooooo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kronberg
- Transportation in Kronberg
- Restaurants in Kronberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Kronberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kronberg
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Kronberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kronberg
Photos in KronbergSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos