"Mainz am Rhein" Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz by antistar

Mainz Travel Guide: 325 reviews and 675 photos

Mainz is a wonderful place and has shot straight to the top of my list of favourite Germany cities. It has a long, amazing and still visible history, a small easily manageable center, and a relaxed, and varied population. On top of all that it has a great location on the Rhine, and is easily accessible from one of Europe's busiest airports: Frankfurt. I loved the city and wished I could stay. My friend who joined me on his way to Milan curtailed his Italian trip and stopped in Mainz longer. This is one of the few places I will definitely return to one day.

At over 2000 years old Mainz is one of Germany's oldest cities by far, and has an amazing history stretching all the way back to Roman times. It became the most important city of the Church of Northern Europe during the 8th century, celebrated by the building of the magnificent cathedral starting in 10th century. Most significantly of all, at least for me, Mainz was where the Information Age was first conceived. Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press and made possible the mass production of books, an act that would change the face of the Western world forever. You can now even see the very first Gutenberg Bible in the vaults of the Gutenberg Museum after the city bought them all back from an American collectors for a tidy sum. This vast history is evidenced all about the city, despite war damage, and you can find pockets of medieval buildings and vestiges of Roman artefacts all around the city, mixed in with the clean modern architecture of the post-war rebuilding.

Mainz is a relaxed city of a quarter of a million people. It has a large immigrant and student population giving it a young and vibrant feel. There's lots of great food for all tastes and budgets, and plenty of night life. It can look a bit rough around the edges, especially near the station, but it felt very safe. The old city is a very manageable size, and you should never feel overwhelmed. Although the city is quite flat and with few obvious landmarks poking out above the skyline it is quite easy to navigate around, and there are plenty of helpful information signs to guide you should you get lost.

Update: I returned to Mainz 8 years later in 2013 and I wasn't quite so charmed by the city. It's still a pleasant place, and I think I could live here happily, but now that I've seen more of Germany it's not quite so amazing as I first thought it to be.

• Last visit to Mainz: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2013

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Super night pic of the Dom! By the way it is a pity that St. Christoph's church hasn`t been restored...

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Great photos and tips!! Mainz is close to where my relatives live and I have been there many times. I think I need to see it as a tourist, there is much on your page I haven't seen!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Mainz was a jag for me but I also enjoyed my all-too-brief time there.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 10:24 AM

Excellent page on this lovely Rhein valley city! Good photos too! Mainz is very special to me as it is where I met my husband!

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2005 at 7:27 AM

wow, excellent page! i go to uni in mainz! ..not sure if u can translate Narrenbrunnen with "fountain of fools" tho, Narren are the ppl celebrating carneval

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 10:19 PM

it looks like Rhein trip is great in the area. Nice views of the city on the pics, intro photo is fantastic.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 10:13 AM

Tim, it's a great page about the splendid Gutenberg City!

• Mar 30, 2005 at 2:53 PM

Fabulous intro here Tim... keep up the good work... I always love reading about German cities :)) How are you btw?

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Mainz