"More Stairs than Venice Has Canals" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn by antistar
Marburg an der Lahn Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 853 photos
The title should tell you half Marburg's story: It's an old German town on a hill. It takes a lot of climbing to get to anywhere of interest: but the effort will definitely be worth it. For Marburg is quite possibly the most beautiful town in all the state of Hesse.
It has an impressive history: It was once even the capital of Hesse. It has one of the oldest universities in the world, and all those stairs make for thirsty students. That means this smallish town has more bars per capita than pretty much everywhere else on the planet.
It's geographically impressive too. The town is built on a hill that soars up from the banks of the river Lahn to the top of the Marburg castle. From here you can see for miles across the rolling, forested green hills that encompass the town.
Marburg is just an hour away from Frankfurt, and has more history in a single street than Frankfurt has in its city limits. If you are staying in Frankfurt, then Marburg is a perfect day trip, and if you are looking to stay outside of the big city, then you can easily stay here and take the train to the centre of Frankfurt.
Martin Luther stayed here in 1529, and quite enjoyed his time by all accounts. It was here that he disputed core issues... more travel advice
According to legend the Town Hall (Rathaus) was built on the very spot where the state of Hesse was founded, back in the... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Marburg an der Lahn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Marburg - the most lovely town in Germany :-)"
- "Marburg - My Home For 11 Years"
- "Medieval Germany and Modern College Town"
- "More Stairs than Venice Has Canals"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marburg an der Lahn
- Hotels in Marburg an der Lahn
- Transportation in Marburg an der Lahn
- Nightlife in Marburg an der Lahn
- Restaurants in Marburg an der Lahn
- Shopping in Marburg an der Lahn
- Warnings and Dangers in Marburg an der Lahn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marburg an der Lahn
- 12 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marburg an der Lahn
- Posted in Travel Bad Homburg vor der Höhe Forum "Re: Books on Bad Homburg"
- updated a Marburg an der Lahn Travel Page "More Stairs than Venice Has Canals"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Stairs than Venice Has Canals"
- Uploaded a Video to Marburg an der Lahn
- Wrote a Review Marburg Virus Alert! in Marburg an der Lahn Favorites
Photos in Marburg an der LahnSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos
Latest Marburg an der Lahn hotel reviews
- Welcome Hotel Marburg
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013