"More Stairs than Venice Has Canals" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn by antistar
Marburg an der Lahn Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 889 photos
The title should tell you half Marburg's story: It's an old German town on a hill. It takes a lot of climbing to get to anywhere of interest: but the effort will definitely be worth it. For Marburg is quite possibly the most beautiful town in all the state of Hesse.
It has an impressive history: It was once even the capital of Hesse. It has one of the oldest universities in the world, and all those stairs make for thirsty students. That means this smallish town has more bars per capita than pretty much everywhere else on the planet.
It's geographically impressive too. The town is built on a hill that soars up from the banks of the river Lahn to the top of the Marburg castle. From here you can see for miles across the rolling, forested green hills that encompass the town.
Marburg is just an hour away from Frankfurt, and has more history in a single street than Frankfurt has in its city limits. If you are staying in Frankfurt, then Marburg is a perfect day trip, and if you are looking to stay outside of the big city, then you can easily stay here and take the train to the centre of Frankfurt.
Martin Luther stayed here in 1529, and quite enjoyed his time by all accounts. It was here that he disputed core issues... more travel advice
According to legend the Town Hall (Rathaus) was built on the very spot where the state of Hesse was founded, back in the... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Marburg an der Lahn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Marburg - a very charming very romantic town :)"
- "Marburg - My Home For 11 Years"
- "Medieval Germany and Modern College Town"
- "More Stairs than Venice Has Canals"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marburg an der Lahn
- Hotels in Marburg an der Lahn
- Transportation in Marburg an der Lahn
- Nightlife in Marburg an der Lahn
- Restaurants in Marburg an der Lahn
- Shopping in Marburg an der Lahn
- Warnings and Dangers in Marburg an der Lahn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marburg an der Lahn
- 12 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marburg an der Lahn
Photos in Marburg an der LahnSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 172 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 99 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 59 reviews, 147 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Intro, 53 reviews, 124 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 123 photos, 1 travelogue