"We can't stop here. This is bear country." Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov by antistar
Brasov Travel Guide: 650 reviews and 1,779 photos
Out of 30 countries I've visited in the last 5 years or so, this is right up there with Prague and Paris. Get here before easyjet fly stag-nighters out to make urinating on the local war monument a feature of their pub crawls. The airport will be completed in the next year or two. You have been warned.
Brasov's medieval core, wedged dramatically between the two towering hills of Warthe and Tampa, is a slice of old Germany in the depths of Transylvania. It was here, on the elbow of the Carpathians, that German settlers founded Siebenburgen (the Seven Cities) and formed a barrier between the Vlachs (Romanians) in the south, and the Hungarians in the north.
Now the city is thouroughly Romanian, and the only German or Hungarian voice you here is almost certainly a tourist. And if there is a downside to this Transylvanian idyll, it's the crowds. But unlike some other popular tourist destinations, Brasov doesn't seem to have attracted a significant number of hawkers, beggars, thieves, street urchins, and ne'er-do-wells. The locals still remain friendly, and the whole place feels positively civilized.
But there's plenty of space to fill, so the crowds are never overbearing. Unlike most German cities, Brasov has survived history remarkably intact, and with EU money pouring into Romania, the renovation of the city appears to be almost complete. It's chock full of internet cafes, classy restaurants, buzzing bars, swanky boulevards, and lovingly restored homes. But you can still lose yourself in the tight cobbled streets, or escape outside to pleasant suburbs.
And everything is still incredibly cheap. As of 2009 I was able to eat food as good as anything in Budapest, for about 2/3rds the price. And I thought Budapest was cheap. And a 3.5km taxi journey from the station, in clean modern Romanian cars, cost me about 2 euros, from consistently honest taxi drivers. It would be difficult to make the same journey on public transport for the same price in many other cities.
You can also use the city as a spring board for jumping into the Transylvanian countryside. There's the horribly touristic Bran castle, a must see for most people, including myself, because of its supposed connections to Dracula. There's the incredible and absolutely unmissable Rasnov castle, which feels more vampiresque without the hyped links. And you can even go further afield, to Sinaia and the Bucegi mountains.
Stunning landscape, beautiful city, good food, good value, with friendly, decent people. The city really impressed me, and easily passed my "I could live here" test.
There are better quality pictures in my facebook album.
- Pros:Beautiful, friendly, romantic, amazing old town centre, good food, good value, location is perfect.
- Cons:Tourists, ugly suburbs.
This is the famous "Castle of Count Dracula", but truthfully this castle was really quite ordinary. There was no Dracula... more travel advice
Now THIS is Transylvania. Rasnov is a rather ordinary town with an extraordinary castle sitting above it. The castle... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Brasov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brasov - The heart of Transylvania"
- "Brasov / Kronstadt"
- "Buna ziua, Brasov!"
- "We can't stop here. This is bear country."
- "Braşov - Heart of Transylvania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brasov
- Hotels in Brasov
- Transportation in Brasov
- Nightlife in Brasov
- Restaurants in Brasov
- Shopping in Brasov
- Warnings and Dangers in Brasov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brasov
- 33 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Brasov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brasov
- Posted in Travel Budapest Forum "Re: which side of the Danube to..."
- updated a Brasov Travel Page "We can't stop here. This is bear country."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Castle Day Trip: Bran"
- Wrote a Review Castle Day Trip: Bran in Brasov Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of midnight_mike's Brasov travel pages
Photos in BrasovSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 95 reviews, 171 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos