"Dracula's True Birthplace" Top 5 Page for this destination Sighisoara by antistar
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,090 photos
Sighisoara really is the birthplace of Dracula, which probably accounts for the number of Goths visiting. He was only here for a few years, but the tight, cobbled streets of this medieval Transylvanian citadel are fantastically evocative all the same.
It's hard not to be impressed by the citadel - it's an awe inspiring sight as you approach from the train. A small hill juts out of the ground, and on its crest is built a towering medieval fortress city that dates back to the middle ages. Closer up the views can be blocked by some truly ugly buildings, the legacy of communism and ill considered modern planning, but inside the walls the beauty is inescapable.
The town was originally settled by Germans, by request of the then King of Hungary. Today there are almost no Germans left, and only about a fifth of the population is Hungarian, but their legacy is everywhere to be seen. From the architectural style of the buildings, to the German names dominating the citadel's graveyard, to the town's famous sons, like Hermann Oberth, one of the father's of modern rocketry.
But one famous son who hinted at the future of Sighisoara and Transylvania was Vlad the Impaler, otherwise known as Dracula. His father, a Vlachian Prince, lived in exile in the city, minting his own coins and giving the city its official name in Romanian for the first time: Sighisoara. Its original Hungarian name is Segesvár, and calling it anything else can elicit complaints from nationalist Hungarians.
Today Sighisoara is a very popular tourist destination, perhaps too popular for some. The citadel remains largely untouched by progress, and it seems like almost every building is protected by UNESCO. The town would be a definite highlight of any trip to Romania.
Sighisoara is about 5 hours from Bucharest and about 8 hours from Budapest in Hungary. The same trains to Budapest will... more travel advice
Behind the Romanian Orthodox Church is a small, ill-kempt Soviet war memorial with overgrown graves and fading letters.... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Doesn't need to rely on Dracula"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 25 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
Photos in SighisoaraSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos
Latest Sighisoara hotel reviews
- Hotel Binder Bubi
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Gia Hostel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Burg Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Nathans Villa Sighisoara
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 4, 2012
- Casa Wagner
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Legend House
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- Hotel Restaurant Europa 2000
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 28, 2009