"A Mountain of Trash" Top 5 Page for this destination Sinaia by antistar
Sinaia Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 565 photos
My lasting memory of Sinaia started from the moment dawn broke on my overnight train. I looked out of the window and saw a sparkling mountain river running next to the train. It splashed refreshingly through lucious grass lined banks, and sped over glossy stoned shallows.
And along with the water flowed an unbelievable stream of trash, refuse and waste. Piles of plastic bottles, tin cans and carrier bags had built up like little river islands, and used diapers clung desperately to dead tree roots. The banks were littered with detritus of all kinds.
Sinaia itself was similar. The streets were clean, and the mountainscape there was stunningly beautiful, but wherever there was a river, or steep bank of grass, you could be certain that a variety of trash would be tumbling down it.
But don't let that put you off coming to Sinaia. It's got top quality hiking and skiing, and if that doesn't take your fancy, Peles castle is worth a day trip here all by itself. You can easily waste a day, and also an entire memory card of photos.
Nestled in the crook of the Carpathian elbow, Sinaia straddles the border between Germanic Transylvania and the traditional Romanian heartland of Wallachia to the south. It's a very popular tourist resort at all times of the year, especially with local tourists.
It's small, fresh, relaxed, cool in summer and covered in snow during winter. It has tons of amenities, and while the food options aren't great, there is a wide choice of good quality hotels. You can even pick up a "casa" from one of the ladies at station, but they aren't pushy about it.
Probably the best way to reach Sinaia is by train. They are pretty regular from Brasov, where most people would come... more travel advice
A ski-shop/restaurant combo just underneath the gondola lift provided us with cheap, filling and tasty food. It's shady,... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Sinaia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sinaia, the first town I have visited..."
- "SINAIA - THE PEARL OF THE CARPATHIANS"
- "A Mountain of Trash"
- "Sinaia a pearl of Carpathian Mountains"
- "Sinaia - the beautiful mountain resort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sinaia
- Hotels in Sinaia
- Transportation in Sinaia
- Nightlife in Sinaia
- Restaurants in Sinaia
- Shopping in Sinaia
- Warnings and Dangers in Sinaia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sinaia
- 11 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Sinaia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sinaia
Photos in SinaiaSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos