"Frankfurt's Prettiest Suburb" Oberursel by antistar
Oberursel Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 51 photos
I first came to Oberursel in July. It was freezing cold, raining and just about typical of Frankfurt's summer that never was in 2011. The second time I came, a few months later in October, it was sunny and warm and touching 20 degrees after a balmy weekend of sunbathing on the Main river. Though clouds did move in towards the end of the day to spoil the only pictures I took of the town.
Oberursel is not really famous for anything, but it does have a pretty old town and its location in the Taunus on the edge of Frankfurt gives you good views of the mountains and the city skyline if you know where to look. It's also a convenient jumping off point for trips to the Taunus mountains. The end of the U3 underground line that passes through the town is the start of trips (and buses) up to the highest point.
Perhaps the only thing I can think of that Oberursel is famous for, is being the scene of an infamous murder. During the crisis years that Germany was plagued by the Baader-Meinhof Red Army Faction terrorists, a banker was shot dead in Oberursel during a botched kidnapping attempt. That scene was played out in the movie: Der Baader Meinhof Komplex, a tense German crime thriller that is definitely worth watching.
Outside of the old town and the old old town is the new town. It's not particularly beautiful or interesting, but it's... more travel advice
You see this is the town hall that once formed part of the medieval city walls. This is like a gateway to the real old... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Oberursel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of Beer"
- "Beautiful half-timbered houses in old town"
- "Frankfurt's Prettiest Suburb"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oberursel
- Transportation in Oberursel
- Restaurants in Oberursel
- Warnings and Dangers in Oberursel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oberursel
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Oberursel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oberursel
Photos in OberurselSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 172 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 59 reviews, 147 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos