"Small but beautiful." Top 5 Page for this destination Valletta by antistar
Valletta Travel Guide: 712 reviews and 1,811 photos
Tiny Valletta. It's the smallest capital in the EU, and at just over 6000 people it's one of the smallest in the world. It's no wonder it's small: With so many important buildings, churches, government offices, museums and shops, there's not much space left on the cramped peninsula for people to actually live on. Instead they spill out into the city's only suburb, Floriana, and all the connected small towns that make up the patchwork super city of urban Malta.
It may be small, but it is still magnificent. It draws comparisons with other great Mediterranean cities, and the likes of Benjamin Disraeli considered it an equal of Venice and Cadiz. Certainly its skyline, especially when viewed from Sliema across the harbour, is stunning, but there are many delights to discover too within its small, tight, steep streets. The highlight of all is probably the St. John's Co-Cathedral, a sumptuous palace of a church built with the overflowing coffers of the Knights of Malta.
Valletta was born of the famed Siege of Malta, one of the greatest battles in history that lasted four months and cost tens of thousands of lives. The Knights of Malta built a fortress in Birgu overlooking the Grand Harbour. When the Ottoman Turks came for Malta they laid siege to Birgu from across the harbour. This peninsula, once cleared of Ottoman soldiers, was quickly converted into a new fortress city: One that would become the capital of the country.
The success of the Siege of Malta, and the fame of the Knights, brought streams of gold into the island and allowed Valletta to become one of the great cities of Europe. Despite some hideous bombing during World War 2, it retains this status of greatness in everything but size.
One of the first things you'll notice in Malta, especially in Valletta and its environs, are the protruding wooden... more travel advice
Before Valletta there was the star fort of St. Elmo. It formed part of a dual defence of the Grand Harbour with its twin... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Valletta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valletta - The Fortified City"
- "Fortified Valletta - Malta's Capital"
- "Small but beautiful."
- "Valletta - Malta's Capital City"
- "Valletta - The capital city of Malta"
- "Fantastic Fortress City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valletta
- Hotels in Valletta
- Transportation in Valletta
- Nightlife in Valletta
- Restaurants in Valletta
- Shopping in Valletta
- Warnings and Dangers in Valletta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valletta
- 34 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Valletta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valletta
Photos in VallettaSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos